Set up and traffic rewarded ads for apps
You can traffic non-intrusive, short-form videos on apps that create a value exchange between a publisher and a user. Rewarded media changes the ads experience by allowing users to voluntarily watch an ad in exchange for an in-app reward. This increases publisher monetization opportunities and maximizes the value of content.
Examples: Watch a video ad to unlock three news articles, get 10 gold coins, get an extra life in a game, get wifi access at an airport, etc.
- Rewarded ads are available with programmatic campaigns, including Programmatic Guaranteed, Private Auctions, and Preferred Deals. Proposal line items should specify "Mobile in-app out-stream video" as the environment type, with any video size selected.*
- Ad Manager Protections allow you to block ads by type, including video interstitials. To maximize fill and revenue for rewarded ads, ensure that your network isn't blocking video interstitials.
- Publishers using rewarded video inventory must comply with the rewarded video policy.
* Reach out to your account manager if you want to be enabled for Programmatic Guaranteed or Preferred Deals.
See the guidelines for programmatic campaigns.
Set up an ad unit
When you set up an ad unit for rewarded video, there are two additional considerations:
- Sizes: Select all of the sizes for interstitials: 320x480, 480x320, 1024x768, 768x1024.
- Reward: While Ad Manager defaults to "1 reward" as the default reward the user receives for watching a video ad, you can click to override. For example, if the reward for watching a video ad is to get 20 more lives in a game, enter a "Reward amount" of "20" and a "Reward type" of "lives". In addition, you can enable third-party ad networks to override these reward settings when using mediation.
Set up a line item
Follow the instructions to set up a video line item in Ad Manager and select "Video VAST" as the line item type. You can select any video ad size. If your rewarded ad uses an end card, set the size of the companion to the in‑app interstitial sizes.
Ad Manager reservations through video line items are only supported for rewarded interstitials, not yet for regular interstitials.
Serve rewarded ads directly through Ad Exchange
Follow the normal process to set up your in-app inventory.
When you create Ad Exchange tags, select the Mobile In-App tab (not the Video tab).
Traffic Ad Exchange rewarded ads in Ad Manager
- If creating Ad Exchange tags, select the Mobile In-App tab (not the Video tab).
- In Ad Manager, the ad units and line items should be for display ads (not for video).
Request rewarded ads through the Google Mobile Ads SDK
Set pricing rules for rewarded ads
You can add a pricing rule to set a floor across rewarded ads.
- Sign in to Google Ad Manager.
- Click Inventory Ad Exchange rules Open auction pricing.
- Click New mobile in-app rule.
- Under "Targeting", click Rewarded.
- Click to include "Rewarded enabled".
- Set a floor price for rewarded inventory.
Alternately, you can set a floor price for inventory other than rewarded. To do this, use "Rewarded disabled".
Serve rewarded ads to mediation networks
Rewarded ads can be served to participating mediation networks.
Report on rewarded ads
You can run reports for rewarded ads much like you would any other report in Ad Manager.
Select Platform Interaction type as a dimension to see a breakdown of whether impressions were rewarded requests or not, in which case "Unknown" is displayed. This dimension is available for "Historical" report types.
Validate rewarded ad views with server-side verification
Server-side verification acts as an additional layer of validation for rewarded ad views in your app. It's performed in addition to the standard client-side callback.
You can use server-side verification to validate each completed rewarded ad view and ensure you're only rewarding users who have actually finished watching the video in your app.Each time a user finishes viewing a rewarded ad, Google uses the postback URL you provide when you set up an ad unit to validate the view.