Enable location data for mobile app ads
One of the unique features of mobile apps is location awareness. Mobile users bring their devices with them everywhere, and adding location awareness to apps offers users a more contextual experience. The same could be said of mobile ads. Location-based ads are usually more relevant to each person's needs and perform better.
Location data collection is enabled by default. If your mobile app already requests location permissions from users and the user has granted this permission, the SDK will automatically collect and pass their location data to Ad Manager and Ad Exchange and use this data to improve ad targeting.
Update location data settings for mobile apps
- Sign in to Google Ad Manager.
- Click Admin Global settings Network settings.
- Configure the GPS targeting setting.
- Enabled: User location data will be passed to the SDK and used to serve location-based ads to the user.
- Disabled: User location data won’t be passed to the SDK or used to serve location-based ads to the user, even if location data is available.
- Click Save. If you're turning off location data for ads, you may be prompted to confirm this selection.
If you disable location data collection, the Mobile Ads SDK will no longer pass auto-collected location data to Ad Manager and Ad Exchange or use location data to target ads for the app, regardless of whether or not a user has granted the mobile app permission.