All values in the tag can be manually overridden. See information about IMA tag parameters.
Ad Exchange UI tags have been converted into ad units in Ad Manager. Ad Exchange ad units are only available for properties that previously had Ad Exchange tags. Learn more about transitioning from Ad Exchange UI tags to Ad Manager ad units.
- Sign in to Google Ad Manager.
- Click Inventory Ad units and navigate to the ad unit for which you want to create an ad tag.
- Click Tags.
- Select Ad Exchange tag as the type and click Continue.
- Enter a description URL for the tag, such as
- Select the ad types you want to allow.
- Video ad types:
- Skippable ads can be skipped after 5 seconds. You can select a maximum length for these ads in seconds.
- Standard in-stream cannot be skipped. You can select a maximum length for these ads in seconds. Higher durations allow more ads to show, and increase fill-rate.
- Overlay types: A image ad that covers part of the video content as it plays.
- Video ad types:
- Identify the video position. If you select mid-roll, you can specify a value in milliseconds. This tells buyers where you intend to traffic the video tag.
Select the language to be used for the interface or player controls displayed with the video/games creatives.This setting has no effect on the spoken/written language of the ad creative served. For the SDK, the player must implement setLocale() methodThe Ad Exchange default detects the user’s language based on browser headers and IP address.
- Select either Direct SDK or the IMA Adapter.*
- Select whether you'd like the video ad to begin in a muted state or to automatically play. Selecting these options define the
vpaparameters in the generated ad code.
- Copy the ad code and click Close.
* The IMA Adapter is intended for players not using the IMA SDK. Dynamic Allocation is not available with this option.
Make sure the description URL parameter is being set in your ad tags. The description URL is a URL that best describes the video playing on the page. Usually, it's the page that houses the video player, but could also be a page with text that describes the video. This URL is extremely important, especially for publishers using Scaled Partner Management.
The description URL is compared to a publisher's list of classified domains to see if ads are eligible to serve. If the description URL doesn't match a classified domain, no ads will serve. For example, if you enter in
mynewsite.com/sports/hockey. The top-level domain, mynewsite.com, will be compared to your list of classified sites.
The description URL is vital if you are trafficking Ad Exchange Video to a mobile application, such as an Android or iOS app. Since mobile applications don't have URLs, Google needs a page to contextually crawl to send relevant ads to the app. Therefore, the description URL is the page Google will crawl.
description_url value must be URL-encoded for web page video players and CTV/OTT devices and non-encoded for mobile in-app video players.
This parameter is not set automatically by the IMA SDK. It needs to be set manually.