Allow restricted categories
You can allow ads to appear for the restricted categories of alcohol and gambling/betting, unless the categories have been disabled from your network.
Restricted categories consist of ads that were previously categorized as non-family safe and were not allowed on pages managed by Ad Exchange. All restricted categories are opted out by default. Learn more about the Alcohol and Gambling/betting categories.
- For indirect transactions (such as First Look, open auctions, private auctions, and legacy private deals), you only need to opt in to restricted categories at the inventory level, as described below. For direct transactions (such as Programmatic Guaranteed), make sure to opt-in at the network level as well as the inventory level. Learn more
- For Preferred Deals:
- Gambling/betting ads can still transact, regardless of the opt-in setting described below, because block override is automatically enabled.
- Alcohol ads do require enabling the opt-in setting to transact.
- Sign in to Google Ad Manager.
- Click Protections Protections
- Click New protection Ad content
- Name your opt-in.
- From the “Inventory type” dropdown, select the medium on which you want to allow the display of ads, such as Mobile app.
- Target the inventory the opt-in will be applied to.
- If you select Only protect specified inventory, click Add targeting and make your targeting selections.
- If you don't target any ad units, the opt-in applies similarly to run of network, excluding the selected advertisers and brands from your network.
- The opt-in also applies to child ad units.
- Under “Opt-ins,” click Add next to “Restricted categories.”
- Click the box to the left of the category you want to allow.
- The box will be green to indicate the category is allowed.
- A locked icon in the box means the category has been disabled for your account. Contact someone in your organization with Ad Manager admin privileges to enable the category. If that doesn't work, contact publisher support.
- Click Update.
- Add more protections as needed and click Save.