You can allow ads to appear for the restricted categories of alcohol and gambling/betting, unless the categories have been disabled from your network.
Restricted categories consist of ads that were previously categorized as non-family safe and were not allowed on pages managed by Ad Exchange. All restricted categories are opted out by default. Learn more about the Alcohol and Gambling/betting categories.
Network-level opt-ins and block overrides
For indirect transactions (such as First Look, open auctions, private auctions, and legacy private deals), you only need to opt in to restricted categories at the inventory level.
For direct transactions (such as Programmatic Guaranteed), you must opt-in at the network level in Admin Global Settings as well as the inventory level.
For Preferred Deals:
- Gambling/betting ads can still transact, regardless of the opt-in setting described below, because block override is automatically enabled.
- Alcohol ads require enabling the opt-in Protections in addition to the global policy setting in Admin Global Settings.
Restricted category opt-ins apply to these transactions
- Open Auctions
- First Look
- Private Auctions
Learn more about transaction types.
- To be able to opt in to alcohol ads for Open Auctions, Private Auctions, and First Look, you must first allow alcohol ads for your account in policy settings.
- When you allow alcohol ads in policy settings, alcohol ads can transact for Programmatic Guaranteed, regardless of the restricted category protection setting.
Opt-in for inventory level restricted categories
For direct transactions and alcohol ads in Preferred Deals, first opt-in at the network level.
- Sign in to Google Ad Manager.
- Click Protections Protections
- Click New protection Ad content
- Name your opt-in.
- From the “Inventory type” dropdown, select the medium on which you want to allow the display of ads, such as Mobile app.
- The default is to apply the protection to all inventory. To target specific inventory:
- Select Only protect specified inventory, click Add targeting, select an item from the dropdown, and make your targeting selections.
- Learn more about targeting in protections.
- Under “Opt-ins,” click Add next to “Restricted categories.”
- Click the box to the left of the category you want to allow.
- The box will be green to indicate the category is allowed.
- A locked icon in the box means the category has been disabled for your account. Contact someone in your organization with Ad Manager admin privileges to enable the category. If that doesn't work, contact publisher support.
- Click Update.
- Add more protections as needed and click Save.