/accounts/community?hl=en
This content is likely not relevant anymore. Try searching or browse recent questions.
This post is a trending issue.
Account recovery
Hello guys. Am going through hell. I had a break-in in my house 14 Dec. The thieves stole my two mobile phones and my laptop. These were my safe devices I use to sign in. My backup codes and everything is there. So I lost everything.
I tried to track my phone a pixel 6 Pro but the two step verification kicked in. This happened in Africa. I attempted account recovery. This is were I think I might have made a mistake. It was asking me enter the phone number registered with this account. Here I put in my African number instead of my UK number which was the correct number. So I returned to UK got a sim card replacement with the same number. 
But now everytime I try recover, I only get 3 options. 
1. Tap phone or tablet which I don't have stolen 
2. Enter 8 digit code 
3. Try another way 
Trying another way, next it says it sends a verification code to my email. But this is the very email I lost access to! 
 Try another way then it asks me me to use one of my 2 stolen devices. Not an option. 
Try another way. Then I get this 'Google couldn't verify that this account belongs to you'. Am stuck here. I have access to my phone number, my recovery email and am signed in a familiar network. The recovery no longer asks me for phone number. 
I am very frustrated with this. Contacted Google multiple times but nothing. 
However I did chat with one Google agent on Google one. We tried the recovery process but nothing happened. He said am going to raise this issue. Later I received an email from the agent saying 'Our account recovery team will review your request within 3-5 business days. They will send an update with the email address that we have entered. Kindly keep your lines open for an update from them.' however I have received no email from them on the 5th day which is today. I need help please. I need to claim my insurance but all details are locked in my Google account. If I recover the first thing am doing is disable two step verification!  You never assume u could lose all your devices at once including my wife's. But it happened to us. Luckily for her she was in the apple ecosystem and recoverrd her account. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Another thing after my phone was stolen I noticed 83 pounds was spent on my Google play store. Offcourse I report matter to Google and my bank. Google is currently investigating and have put a stop on my Google account playstore transaction. Just to reiterate I have my password, my phone number and my recovery email. Please help am desperate might lose my job! 

Details
Pinned
Latest Update Latest Updates (0)
Relevant Answer Relevant Answers (0)
All Replies (192)
Relevant Answer
The recovery gives me options I dont have. This is extremely frustrating. I have my phone number and a recovery email which was verified by Google. But I get non of the options. When I try send code to my phone with my number I get an error ' The sign-in notification couldn’t reach your phone. Resend to try again.' this is very upsetting to me. I have insurance to recover my stolen items but all my receipts are in Gmail. Even my pixel 6 Pro I bought from Google, I cannot get receipt to claim back. This is completely unacceptable.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have a laptop I used for many years. But I given it away when I got a new one. The question I have now, will that help if I try logging in using that device. I have not logged into that my Google account using this laptop for over 9 months. Luckily the person I gave it to has not done anything with it yet. Would that help? Because it would cost a lot of money to get it to me
marked this as an answer
Volunteer in this Google supervised forum. Not a Google employee.
Relevant Answer

To attempt account recovery ("AR") of a free Google account, or a Google Workspace Individual ($$) account, the following is the ONLY way accepted by Google.   (We can't do this for you.)
  • Password problems?   Google do not send a password reset link on demand.  Check your browser password manager, or a password app, otherwise you need to continue with AR;  select "Forgot my Password".  
  • Without BOTH a current recovery email AND a current phone number, previously set up in the account, (both must be accessible and up to date), then the  account usually can't be recovered.  (Other conditions may also apply.  Click here and go to "Let's be realistic".)
To attempt AR, use  https://accounts.google.com/signin/v2/recoveryidentifier?flowName=GlifWebSignIn&flowEntry=ServiceLogin  Do not use a VPN.  Use the same device and location which recently worked, if possible. 
  • Can't answer a question or use the nominated device, etc?  Click on "Try another way" (or similar). 
If recovery fails, waiting a full seven days (168 hours) without any attempts ~may~ work.  If you still don't succeed, Google will not return the account.  

Unfortunately Google staff will not provide personal assistance;  and starting a new post will not make any difference to the result.  Please don't do that.

marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hello. I did set up telephone number and email recovery. Please read my original post. I think I made a mistake originally when I tried to recover the account. Please read the post carefully. The first time the recovery form asked for my phone number. I mistakenly entered my African number. Now it doesn't ask it anymore. Its looks like the system elimated some of my options. Is there a time after which things return to default?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I will wait full seven days and try again. Any hints or suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks for taking your time to help!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Wait seven days as you suggest, to give Google time to reset the pointers.

The African number may have raised "possible hacker" alarm bells at Google.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
OK I will do that. Because I am 100 percent sure I created a recovery email. I still have the verification notice on that emsil. Likewise am 100%  sure I set up the telephone number. How about my old laptop I used before? This was my daily driver for years. But I haven't logged in Google account with that device for over 6 months!, would it still be classed as trusted device? Or is there a time limit? Thanks again for your responses
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
6 months ago may be a problem, and if using that Google would usually expect to see same IP address and same method of connection, that previously worked.

Frustrating, but all for account security.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Very frustrating. But hopefully Google will improve this over time. I dont know how to stop my subscription now. Am paying a lot of money on Google one and YouTube account. But I can't cancel it until I regain my account. What if I can't regain it. It would be unfair to pay for something I cannot access or use
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Please help me recover my account.  I know my password and am logging in from the same computer.
marked this as an answer
This question is locked and replying has been disabled.
Discard post? You will lose what you have written so far.
Write a reply
10 characters required
Failed to attach file, click here to try again.
Discard post?
You will lose what you have written so far.
Personal information found

We found the following personal information in your message:

This information will be visible to anyone who visits or subscribes to notifications for this post. Are you sure you want to continue?

A problem occurred. Please try again.
Create Reply
Edit Reply
This will remove the reply from the Answers section.
Notifications are off
Your notifications are currently off and you won't receive subscription updates. To turn them on, go to Notifications preferences on your Profile page.
Report abuse
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
What type of post are you reporting?
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
This reply is no longer available.
/accounts/threads
//accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin
You'll receive email notifications for new posts at
Unable to delete question.
Unable to update vote.
Unable to update subscription.
You have been unsubscribed
Deleted
Unable to delete reply.
Removed from Answers
Removed from Updates
Marked as Recommended Answer
Marked as Update
Removed recommendation
Undo
Unable to update reply.
Unable to update vote.
Thank you. Your response was recorded.
Unable to undo vote.
Thank you. This reply will now display in the answers section.
Link copied
Unlocked
Unable to lock
Unable to unlock
Pinned
Unpinned
Unable to pin
Unable to unpin
Marked
Unmarked
Unable to mark
Reported as off topic