Sign in using QR codes
When you sign in, sometimes Google takes extra steps to make sure it’s you. You might have the option to scan a Quick Response (QR) code from a device where you’re already signed in.
Step 1: Choose your device
Select the tab below for the device you’ll use to scan your QR code. You need to already be signed in to your Google Account on that device.
Step 2: Scan the QR code
- On your compatible Android phone or tablet, open the built-in camera app.
- Point the camera at the QR code.
- Tap the banner that appears on your Android phone or tablet.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to finish signing in.
If you can’t scan the QR code, you can try to sign in another way.
Can’t scan QR code
Turn up your brightness
Make sure the screen showing the QR code is bright enough for the camera to see the code.
Clean your camera lens
A smudged camera lens can interfere with scanning a QR code. Try cleaning it with a lens wipe or a soft, clean cloth.
Keep your phone upright
If your phone is tilted, the camera may have trouble scanning the QR code.
Find the right distance
If the camera on your phone is too close or too far from the QR code, the camera might not be able to scan it.
- Bring your camera close to the QR code. Then, slowly move the camera back from the QR code.
- Hold your camera about a foot away from the QR code. Then slowly move the camera closer to the QR code.
Tip: Keep the QR code in the camera’s viewfinder while you try different distances.
Sign in another way
- Sign in to your Google Account on the new device. When you see the QR code, stay on that screen.
- On a device you’re already signed in on, open a web browser, like Chrome.
- At the top of the browser, enter: g.co/verifyaccount.
Try another way
- Sign in to your Google Account on the new device.
- Below the QR code, choose Try another way.
- Choose another way to verify it’s you.