Set up a recovery phone number or email address
Losing access to your emails, documents, and photos can be frustrating. To make sure you can get back into your account quickly, easily, and securely in the future, add account recovery options.
You don't have to provide a recovery email address or phone number, but having one makes it easier for you to regain access to your account if you forget your password or are locked out.
If you've lost access to your account, you can try to regain access through our account recovery form.
Add or change a recovery phone number
- Sign in to your "Recovery phone" page in My Account.
- From here you can:
- Add a recovery phone.
- Change your recovery phone: Next to your phone number, select Edit .
- In the box that appears, follow the instructions.
Note: You must use a mobile phone with text messaging turned on.
How a recovery phone number can make your account more secure
Here are some ways we can use your recovery phone number:
- Challenge people if they try to get into your account without your permission
- Send you a verification code so you can get into your account if you ever lose access
- Provide an alternate way for you to verify that you own an account
- Alert you to possible threats to your account's security (for example, when your password is changed)
Add or change a recovery email
- Sign in to your "Recovery email" page in My Account.
- From here you can:
- Add a recovery email.
- Change your recovery email: Next to your email address, select Edit .
- Enter your recovery email address.
- Select Done.
Your recovery address should be an email address that you use regularly.
If you use Gmail, you might have added a recovery email address to your account when you first signed up.
If you don't use Gmail, your default recovery address is the email address you used to sign up for your account (for example: email@example.com).
- We need to confirm your username after you create an address
- You can't sign in to Google
- You've forgotten your password
- You're about to run out of storage space
- We need to alert you to any unusual activity involving your address
Nick is an Accounts expert and the author of this help page. Leave him feedback below about how to improve it.