If you don’t want to enter your password each time you sign in to your Google Account, you can get a Google prompt sent to your phone instead.
Google prompts are push notifications that help confirm it’s you. When you turn on the option to sign in with your phone, you also add another way to prove it’s your account if you forget your password.
To sign in with your phone instead of a password, you need an Android phone with a screen lock.
- Go to your Google Account.
- In the navigation panel, tap Security.
- Under "Signing in to Google," tap Use your phone to sign in Set it up.
You may need to sign in.
- Follow the on-screen steps.
- If your phone doesn’t have a screen lock, tap Add a screen lock. Follow the on-screen steps.
Tip: You’ll get prompts on any eligible devices that are signed in to your Google account.
Sign in with your phone
- When you sign in to your Google Account, enter your email address or phone number.
- Tap Next. You’ll get a reminder to check your phone.
- Unlock your Android phone.
- On the "Trying to sign in?" prompt, tap Yes.
- If your phone isn't nearby, you can select Use password or other options on the sign-in screen.
To sign in with your phone, you need to turn on screen lock. Settings may vary depending on your Android phone.
A screen lock helps prevent someone else from unlocking your phone and using it to sign in to your Google Account.
You might need extra steps to sign in
Your phone isn't listed
If your phone isn't in the "Your phone" section of the setup process:
Your phone isn't nearby or you can't use it
In some cases, you might need to use your password to sign in, like when:
- You don't have your phone.
- Your phone isn't charged.
- Your phone is offline.
If this happens:
- Sign in to your Google Account.
- Tap Use password or other options.
- Choose one of the options, and follow the on-screen steps.
Screen lock helps protect your phone in case it's lost or stolen.
Even though your phone has this security feature, we recommend you follow the steps to sign out on a device you no longer use.
Stop signing in with your phone
- Go to the security section of your Google Account.
- Under "Signing in to Google," tap Use your phone to sign in. You may need to use your screen lock.
- At the top, tap Turn off.