Interact with apps & people around you
You can use your phone to find and interact with people close by. For example, you and your friends can do things like play games or work together in apps that work with Nearby.Important: Some of these steps work only on Android 10 and up. Learn how to check your Android version.
To interact with other people:
- You must be within 30 m or 100 ft from them.
- Both you and the people you’d like to interact with must have the same app.
- The app you’d like to collaborate in must work with Nearby.
- Open your phone’s Settings app.
- Tap Google Nearby.
- Under "Using Nearby," you'll find the apps that use Nearby.
- To turn off Nearby notifications from an app, tap the app.
Tip: If you turn off an app’s Nearby notifications, the app will still work on your phone.
When you open an app that works with Nearby, and someone near you has the same app open, your phones will ask if you'd like to connect with each other.
Nearby uses small amounts of Wi-Fi or mobile data to connect to Google and get info about shared apps.
Nearby doesn’t track, monitor, or send personal info from your phone. When you give permission, apps that work with Nearby share with each other via remote servers. The sharing devices don’t connect directly.