Enable or disable cookies
To use your Google Account on a browser (like Chrome or Safari), turn on cookies if you haven't already.
Important: If you get a message that cookies are turned off, you need to turn them on to use your account.
Turn cookies on or off
- On your computer, open Chrome.
- At the top right, click More Settings.
- At the bottom, click Advanced.
- Under "Privacy and security," click Content settings.
- Click Cookies.
- From here, you can:
- Turn on cookies: Next to "Blocked," turn on the switch.
- Turn off cookies: Turn off Allow sites to save and read cookie data.
In other browsers
For instructions, check the support website for your browser.
Why cookies are helpful
Cookies are files created by sites you visit. They make your online experience easier by saving browsing information. With cookies, sites can:
- Keep you signed in
- Remember your site preferences
- Give you locally relevant content
If you can't use your Google Account and get a message that cookies are turned off:
- Follow the steps above to turn on cookies.
- Try signing in again.
If you still get the error message, here are some possible solutions. Try each one, then try signing in.
Ashley is an Accounts expert and the author of this help page. Leave her feedback below about how to improve it.