Delete your Gmail account
If you decide that you don't need your Gmail address anymore, you can remove it from your Google Account. Deleting your Gmail address won't delete your entire Google Account.
What happens when you delete your Gmail address
- Your Gmail address can't be used by you or anyone else in the future.
- Your emails will be deleted.
- Your Google Account, including purchases made on Google Play and your search history, won't be deleted.
Delete your Gmail address
Note: If you use Gmail through your work, school, or other organization, contact your admin to delete your Gmail address.
- Sign in to the Account preferences page.
- Click Delete products. You may need to sign in to your account again.
- Next to Gmail, click Delete .
- Follow the instructions on the screen, then choose Remove Gmail.
Note: If you use Gmail offline, you also need to clear your browser's cache and cookies to remove Gmail completely.
If you deleted your Gmail address, you can get it back again. If you deleted it recently, you might be able to recover your old emails.
- Open Gmail.
- Follow the steps on the screen to get your Gmail account back.
You need to sign in before you can delete your Gmail address. Get help accessing your account.
Nick is an Accounts expert and the author of this help page. Leave him feedback below about how to improve it.