If an app or site doesn’t meet our security standards, Google might block anyone who’s trying to sign in to your account from it. Less secure apps can make it easier for hackers to get in to your account, so blocking sign-ins from these apps helps keep your account safe.
Because less secure apps can make your account more vulnerable, Google will automatically turn this setting off if it’s not being used.
If "Less secure app access" is still on for your account, we recommend turning it off now and switching to more secure apps.
Turn off "Less secure app access"
To help keep your account secure, we recommend that you keep this setting off and use more secure apps.
- Go to the Less secure app access section of your Google Account. You might need to sign in.
- Turn Allow less secure apps off.
When a third-party app meets our security standards, you can:
- See what level of account access you’re giving the app before you connect your Google Account
- Let the app access only a relevant part of your Google Account, like your email or calendar
- Connect your Google Account to the app without exposing your password
- Disconnect your Google Account from the app at any time
Learn more about third-party apps with access to your account.
Can’t use an app with my Google Account
If the app or the operating system on your device is out-of-date, updating to the latest version might allow you to use the app with your Google Account.
Make sure you’re using the latest version of the app and your device’s operating system.
If an app uses less secure sign-in technology, you might not be able to use it with your Google Account.
You can sign in to your Google Account from any third-party app that has the "Sign in with Google" option. You can also sign in to your Google Account using all Google products, like Gmail.
An App password is a 16-digit passcode that gives a non-Google app or device permission to access your Google Account. Learn more about how to sign in using App Passwords.
If you still can't sign in to your account, learn more about the "password incorrect" error.