“Password incorrect” error
There are several reasons why you might see see a “Password incorrect” error when signing in to Google using third-party apps like iPhone’s Mail app. In some cases even if you type your password correctly.
Here are the most common reasons you may see this error, and steps to take to access your account:You’re signing in from a new location or device
To protect your account, Google might make it harder to sign in to your account if we suspect it isn’t you. For example, Google might ask for additional information besides your username and password if you are traveling or if you try to sign in to your account from a new device.
- Go to https://g.co/allowaccess from a different device you have previously used to access your Google account and follow the instructions.
- Try signing in again from the blocked app.
Some examples of apps that do not support the latest security standards include:
- The Mail app on your iPhone or iPad with an outdated operating system
- The Mail app on your Windows phone preceding the 8.1 release
- Some Mail apps (not built by Google) that come with your phone
- Some Desktop mail clients like Microsoft Outlook and Mozilla Thunderbird
To help keep your account secure, we may block these less secure apps from accessing your account. If this is the case, you have two choices:
- Upgrade to a more secure app that uses most up to date security measures. All Google products, like Gmail, use the latest security measures.
- If you want to continue using an app you're familiar with, go to Allow less secure apps and select “Turn off” to let less secure apps access your Google account. We don't recommend this option because it may make it easier for someone to gain access to your account.
Many apps, such as the Mail app in some versions of iOS and Windows phones, do not support 2-Step Verification. Instead, you’ll have to create an application specific password to sign in to your account. Visit Problems signing in with 2-Step verification? for instructions on how to use 2-Step Verification on your specific app or device.
Still having trouble signing in?
If you’ve tried all the options above but are still unable to sign in to your account on the app, try the following:
- Go to https://accounts.google.com/DisplayUnlockCaptcha on your device's browser.
- Enter your username and password, then type the letters on the screen.
- Go back to the app and try signing in again.
Ashley is an Accounts expert and the author of this help page. Leave her feedback below about how to improve it.