Location history for iPhone & iPad
Location services make it easier to use Google products. Turning location history on for your account lets Google give you useful information, based on where you've been with the devices where you're signed in.
For example, the Google app uses your past locations to show you traffic updates for your daily commute by learning the route you take to work.
- Go to your Timeline.
- At the top left, choose the time period you want to see.
- Go to your Timeline.
- At the bottom right, tap Settings Delete all location history.
- Confirm that you want to delete all your location history.
- Tap Delete Location History.
Location History stores your location data from all devices that are signed in to your Google Account.
Note: When you pause Location History, it doesn't delete previous activity, it only stops saving new location information.
Using your browser
- Go to the Location history section of your Google Account.
- Turn Location History on or off.
- Off: Confirm by tapping Pause.
- On: Confirm by tapping Turn on.
Using the Google app
- Open the Google app .
- At the top right, tap your account photo. You might need to sign in.
- Tap My Account Personal info and privacy Activity controls Google Location History.
- Turn the setting on or off. If you turn it off, confirm by tapping Stop storing location.
Common issues with location servicesAvailability
Location History may not be available if:
- It's not available in your region.
- You don't meet certain age restrictions.
- Your Google Account is through your work, school, or other group, and your administrator turned off your access to these features.
- You've turned off Location Services or Background App Refresh.
On Google Maps 3.2.1 and up, you can't turn on Location Reporting and History on your iPhone or iPad. If you have Location History turned on from another Google app, like the Google app, the Google Maps app can use Location History data stored in your Google account to give you better search results.
If you're not on the latest version of iOS, Location History could require Location Services and Background App Refresh to be on to work properly.
Location Services uses GPS, Wi-Fi hotspots, and cellular network towers to determine your location. Background App Refresh allows Location Reporting to work when you're not actively using a Google app.
This feature can use a lot of data. Before using this feature, review your device's data plan.