Turn Android Device Manager on or off
If you lose your Android device, you can use Android Device Manager to:
- Find your device: Use Android Device Manager to show your device's location.
- Ring, lock, or erase a lost device: Use Android Device Manager to remotely ring or lock your device, erase everything on it, or add a phone number to the lock screen.
Set up Android Device ManagerStep 1: Switch Android Device Manager on or off
Before you can use Android Device Manager, you need to make sure it's turned on and that your device is associated with your Google Account. If you have a tablet with more than one user, only the tablet owner can control this setting.
- Find Google Settings in one of these places (depending on your device):
- A separate app called Google Settings
- In your main Settings app, scroll down and touch Google
- Touch Security.
- Under "Android Device Manager," switch Remotely locate this device and Allow remote lock and factory reset on or off.
Note: Make sure you sign into your Google account on your device if you want to use Android Device Manager.
To use Android Device Manager, you have to have location access turned on. If you’ve turned it off, here’s how to turn it back on:
- Open the Settings app on your device .
- Scroll down and touch Location.
- Move the switch to the on position.
Learn more about managing your account's location settings.
After you turn on Android Device Manager, check to make sure that it's working properly. Sign in to your Google Account on android.com/devicemanager and check to see if your device shows up.
Don't see your device? Make sure that you're signed in to your Google Account, location settings are on, and that you've turned on Android Device Manager in Google Settings.
Unhide devices on Google Play
If you hide a device on Google Play, the device won't appear in Android Device Manager. Unhide devices by going to play.google.com/settings and selecting a device in the Visibility column.
Ashley is an Accounts expert and the author of this help page. Leave her feedback below about how to improve it.