Edit your Google Account information
Manage the information associated with your Google Account.Edit your basic account information
You can edit information like your name, birthday, gender, and the email and phone number associated with your account. This basic information is used to help others get in touch with you more easily in products like Hangouts, Gmail, and Maps.
- Sign in to My Account.
- In the "Personal info & privacy" section, select Your personal info.
- Choose the information you want to edit and follow the onscreen instructions.
More details about your information
You have a few options in the "Gender" section of My Account. You can:
- Specify your gender
- Decline to specify your gender
- Add a custom gender and tell Google how to refer to you
Who sees your gender
By default, information about your gender isn't shared with other users of Google products. You can control who sees your gender on your "About me" page.
How Google uses your gender
We use your gender to make Google products more personal. When you specify your gender, you help us to:
- Personalize messages and other text that refer to you. For example, users who can see your gender might see text like "Send him a message" or "In her circles."
- Provide more relevant, tailored content you might be interested in.
If you don't specify your gender, we'll use gender-neutral terms to refer to you, like "Send them a message."
The email and phone number here are used to help identify you and help you keep in touch. They aren't the same as your recovery phone number and email address, which help you get back into your account if you forget your password.
- Sign in to My Account.
- In the "Sign-in & security" section, select Signing in to Google.
- Select Password.
- Re-enter your password if asked.
- Follow the onscreen instructions and select Change password.
For more information on security and safety, check out Google's Safety Center.
On your "About me" page, you can choose the information other people see about you across Google services, such as Gmail and Hangouts. You can also preview how your information appears to others.
Some of the things you can change include:
- Employment info, like where you work
- Personal contact info, like your phone number, email address, and mailing address
- Work contact info, like your work email and phone number
- Places you've visited
- Education info
When you travel, you might want to view events in your current location's time zone. You can change your time zone in Google Calendar.
Google uses this information to help other users of Google products (like Hangouts, Gmail, and Maps) learn more about you and easily get in touch. For example, when you're having a conversation with someone on the Gmail or Hangouts app, they can click or touch your display photo, which shows the contact details you've decided to share.
Learn how to control how others see your information across Google.
Ashley is an Accounts expert and the author of this help page. Leave her feedback below about how to improve it.