Basics: Recover your account via text message
If you add a phone number as a recovery option, Google can send you a text message with a code to help you reset your password should you ever forget your password.
To enable the text message recovery option:
- Sign in to your account.
- In the Security section, click Update recovery options.
- Select your country from the drop-down menu and enter your mobile phone number. (Don't worry about the format of the number. Dashes, spaces, and parentheses are optional.) You may enter your number with or without the country code.
- Click Save at the bottom of the page.
We suggest contacting your mobile phone provider for details on costs associated with text messaging. These costs vary, depending on your wireless plan and provider.To send yourself a recovery code:
- Enter your username on the password-assistance page. After completing the word verification, select the option to receive your password via text message.
- Click Continue.
- Check your phone for a text message from Google.
- Enter your recovery code and click Submit recovery code.
- Type your new password.
To keep your account secure, be sure to keep your security options up-to-date, and enable alternate recovery options.