Adding a phone number to your account
To add a recovery phone number to your account:
- Go to your Google Account Settings page.
- In the Personal info section, click Phone.
- In the Recovery phone section, click to add a recovery phone number.
Why Google asks you to add a mobile phone number to your account
Having a mobile phone number on your account is one of the easiest and most reliable ways to help keep your account safe and ensure that you can get back into your account if your account is hijacked or you forget your password. Your mobile phone is a more secure identification method than your recovery email address or a security question because, unlike the other two, you have physical possession of your mobile phone.
Hackers target accounts without phones because they're easier targets. Add a phone and join hundreds of millions of other Google users who have helped stop hackers in their tracks.
Ways we will use your mobile phone number
We'll only use your mobile phone number to ensure the security of your account. Here are some ways we'll use it:
- To challenge people when they try to hijack your account
- To send you a verification code so you can get into your account if you ever lose access
- To provide an alternate way for you to verify that you own an account
- To help prevent people from getting into your account by guessing the answer to your security question
- Optional: To alert you to possible threats to your account's security (for example, when your password is changed)
Ways we won't use your mobile phone number
Unless you make a specific request, we won’t use your mobile phone number for anything other than protecting your account. For example, unless you tell us to, we’ll never:
- Sell your phone number to other companies or organizations
- Call you for marketing purposes
- Publish your phone number online