If you lose your phone or otherwise can't get codes via text, voice call, or Google Authenticator, you can use backup codes to sign in. If you don't have your security key, you can also use these codes to sign in.
- After you use a backup code to sign in, it becomes inactive.
- You can generate a new set of 10 codes whenever you want. After creating a new set, the old set automatically becomes inactive.
Create & view a set of backup codes
- On your iPhone or iPad, open the Gmail app .
- Tap Menu Settings your account Manage your Google Account. If you don't use Gmail, go to myaccount.google.com.
- At the top, tap Security.
- Under "Signing in to Google," tap 2-Step Verification.
- Under "Backup codes," select Set up or Show codes.You can print or download your codes.
Tip: Print a copy of your backup codes and store them somewhere safe.
Find your lost backup code
Backup-codes-username.txtwith your username. For example, if your username is google123, search for:
Backup-codes-google123.txt. You'll need the codes downloaded to the device for this to work.
Sign in with a backup code
- Locate your backup codes.
- Sign into Gmail or another Google service.
- Enter your username and password.
- When asked for your verification code, tap More options.
- Select Enter one of your 8-digit backup codes.
- Enter your backup code.