Install Google Authenticator
If you set up 2-Step Verification, you can use the Google Authenticator app to receive codes even if you don’t have an Internet connection or mobile service.
Note: If you have an account through your work, school, or other group, your organization might not allow 2-Step Verification. Check with your administrator to be sure.
To use Google Authenticator on your Android device, you'll need:
- Android version 2.1 or later
- 2-Step Verification turned on
Download the app
Set up the app
On your Android phone or tablet, open your device's Settings app Google Google Account.
- At the top, tap Security.
- Under "Signing in to Google," tap 2-Step Verification. You might need to sign in.
- Under "Set up alternative second step," find "Authenticator app" and tap Set up.
- Follow the steps on the screen.
- To verify it's working, get a code from your Authenticator app. Enter it in your settings.
If your code is correct, you'll see a confirmation.
Setting up 2-Step Verification for multiple Google Accounts
Google Authenticator can issue codes for multiple accounts from the same mobile device.
Each Google Account needs a different secret key. To set up additional accounts, turn on 2-Step Verification for each account and use the same Google Authenticator app.
Setting up Google Authenticator on multiple devices
You can set up Google Authenticator so that you can generate verification codes from more than one device.
- Make sure that you have Google Authenticator downloaded on all devices that you want to use.
- Go to the 2-Step Verification section of your Google Account.
- If you've already set up Google Authenticator for your account, delete that account from Authenticator.
- Follow the steps on the screen to set up 2-Step Verification for the Authenticator app. Use the same QR code or secret key on all your devices.
- To check if it's working, make sure the verification codes on each device are the same.
Google Authenticator does not generate App Passwords. After turning on 2-Step Verification, If you see a prompt for a new App Password, sign in using an App Password.