With the TalkBack braille keyboard, you can tap your screen to enter 6-dot braille. Only Unified English Braille is currently supported.
Step 1: Set up the TalkBack braille keyboard
- Open your device's Settings app.
- Select Accessibility TalkBack Settings.
- Select Braille keyboard.
- Select Tap to set up.
- In the dialog, select Settings.
- Turn on TalkBack braille keyboard.
- Open an app where you can type, such as Gmail or Google Keep.
- Note: The TalkBack braille keyboard isn't yet supported in Google Docs or Messages.
- Move focus to the edit field.
- To switch to the TalkBack braille keyboard, select Switch input method or Next language (Gboard only).
- Select TalkBack braille keyboard.
Step 2: Type on the TalkBack braille keyboard
The steps below are also available in a tutorial on your device. To open the tutorial, 3-finger swipe up on your screen. In the list of braille keyboard options, select Open tutorial.
- Turn your phone so the screen is facing away from you.
- Rotate the phone horizontally to landscape position.
- Your hands should grip the short ends of the phone.
- Your right hand should hold the end with the USB port.
- Rest your 3 middle fingers on the screen, and use your pinky and thumb to support the phone.
- Your left index finger should be on dot 1. Try tapping the following letters:
- Tap dot 1 to type the letter "A."
- Tap dots 1 and 2 to type the letter "B."
- Tap dots 1 and 4 to type the letter "C."
- Tap dots 1, 4, and 5 to type the letter "D."
Note: You can type in grade 1 and grade 2 braille. Grade 1 braille can be useful if you're new to braille. Grade 2 can be useful if you're a more advanced user or if you want to use abbreviations.
Use gestures with the TalkBack braille keyboard
- Delete letter: Swipe left
- Delete word: 2-finger swipe left
- Add space: Swipe right
- New line: 2-finger swipe right
- Submit text: 2-finger swipe up
To view a list of all gestures, 3-finger swipe up on your screen. In the list of braille keyboard options, select See all gestures.
Note: When you're using the TalkBack braille keyboard, other TalkBack gestures aren't available.
Hide the TalkBack braille keyboard
- To hide the TalkBack braille keyboard, 2-finger swipe down.
- To switch to your original keyboard, 3-finger swipe down.