Select to Speak
You can select items on your screen and hear them read or described aloud with Select to Speak for Android.
Some of this information applies only to devices running Android 5.1 and higher.
Step 1: Turn on Select to Speak
- Open your device's Settings app .
- Tap Accessibility, then tap Select to Speak.
- If you don't see Select to Speak, go to Google Play to download the latest version of TalkBack, then try these steps again.
- At the top, turn on Select to Speak.
Note: You can set an accessibility shortcut to turn on Select to Speak. You can then press and hold the volume keys for 3 seconds to turn on Select to Speak.
Step 2: Use Select to Speak
- Tap Accessibility .
- If you don't see this icon, you might be using an earlier version of TalkBack. Refer to the steps for earlier versions below.
- Tap an item on your screen, like text or an image.
- To hear multiple items, drag your finger across the screen.
- To hear everything, tap Play .
- When the player is open, use the buttons to pause or play, skip forward or backward and to increase or decrease speed.
Note: Select to Speak might not work with every browser.
Steps for earlier versions
- Tap Select to Speak .
- Tap an item on your screen, or drag your finger across the screen to hear multiple items.
- To stop spoken feedback, tap anywhere on the screen.
- To move the Select to Speak button, touch and hold the button, then drag it.