You can change your display to a dark background with either Dark theme or Colour inversion.
Turn on Dark theme or Colour inversion
- Open your device's settings app .
- Tap Accessibility.
- Under Display, turn on Dark theme or Colour inversion.
- Dark theme applies to the Android system UI and supported apps. Colours don't change in media, such as videos.
- Colour inversion applies to everything on your device, including media. For example, black text on a white screen becomes white text on a black screen. There can be issues with colour quality or legibility.
Using Dark theme and Colour inversion together
- Android 10 or later: If you open an app that doesn't support Dark theme, turn on Colour inversion in addition to Dark theme.
- Android 9 or earlier: You can only use one of these settings at a time. For example, if you turn on Dark theme, Colour inversion automatically turns off.