Install and turn on BrailleBack
With BrailleBack, you can connect a refreshable braille display to your Android device via Bluetooth. BrailleBack works with the TalkBack screen reader to provide a combined speech and braille experience.
As you use BrailleBack, screen content appears on your braille display, and you can navigate and interact with your device using the keys on the display. You can also input text using the Braille keyboard.
Step 1: Make sure that your braille device is supported
The current version of BrailleBack supports the following devices:
- Baum VarioUltra
- APH Refreshabraille
- APH Orbit Reader 20
- Baum VarioConnect
- Esys EuroBraille
- Freedom Scientific Focus Blue (14 and 40 cell models)
- HandyTech (Basic Braille, Active Braille, Braille Star, Braille Wave, Braillino, Easy Braille.)
- Harpo Braillepen 12
- HIMS (BrailleSense, Braille EDGE, Smart Beetle)
- Humanware Brailliant (1st generation and BI models)
- Optelec Alva (BC640, BC680)
- Optelec EasyLink 12 Touch
- Papenmeier Braillex Trio
- Seika (notetaker and 40 cell display)
Step 2: Install BrailleBack on your Android device
You can get BrailleBack from Google Play using one of the following options:
- Option 1: Use this direct link to BrailleBack on Google Play, then select Install. Choose a device where you'd like to install the app, then select Install.
- Option 2: Open the Play Store app on your Android device, then search for 'BrailleBack'. Select BrailleBack from the search results, then select Install.
Step 3: Turn on BrailleBack and pair your braille display
Note: Before you turn on Brailleback, make sure that TalkBack is also on. Learn how to turn on TalkBack.
To turn on BrailleBack on your Android device, follow these steps:
- Open your device's Settings app .
- Open Accessibility, then BrailleBack.
- Turn on BrailleBack.
- Go back to Settings. Under Wireless and networks, select Bluetooth.
- Turn on Bluetooth.
- Select the name of your braille display.
- If your braille display isn't listed, make sure that the display is in pairing mode, then select Search for devices on your Android device.
- For pairing instructions, refer to the documentation for your braille device.