If you have a supported edition of Google Workspace, you can add view-only live streaming to Google Meet events. Live streaming broadcasts Meet video conferences to people within your organization.
Who can view live stream video meetings
Only guests within your organization or guests in a trusted Workspace domain can view a live stream from your organization. Full participants within your organization can stop and start the stream during the meeting, and record the event. View-only guests and trusted Workspace domain users can't participate in the meeting or control streaming and recording, but they can attend the live stream as viewers. The maximum number of live-stream viewers depends on your account and Google Workspace edition.
Supported viewing browsers
Computer and mobile users can use the latest version of the following browsers to view live stream Meet meetings:
- Chrome browser
- Microsoft Edge
- Mozilla Firefox
- Apple Safari
What you can share through a live stream
- Organization-wide view-only meetings with multiple presenters.
- Remote training for employees and staff.
- Virtual conferences and events.
- On-demand training materials (recorded live streams).
- Open Google Calendar.
- ClickCreateEventMore options.
- Add the event details, such as date, time, and description.
- Add the guests that can fully participate in the video meeting.
- All guests added to this event can be seen, heard, and present their screen.
- People from other organizations and trusted domains can be added. Only people in your organization can record and control streaming.
- Next to Join with Google Meet, click the Down arrowAdd live stream.
- Click Add live stream again to confirm.
- Click SaveSend.
Note: Streaming does not automatically start. During the meeting, at the bottom right, click, click Live StreamingStart streaming.
To invite specific people to the view-only live stream, create a view-only event. The event is added to their Calendar and includes the link for view-only guests.
People invited to the event are not seen or heard in the meeting, and can’t present, record, or control streaming.
Tip: If invited, view-only guests can join live streams even if their accounts don't support live streaming or their organizations have live streaming turned off.
- Open Google Calendar.
- Click the live stream event you created Edit .
- At the top, click More actionsCreate view-only event.
- Add guests or rooms for view-only access, and other details such as a description.
- Click Save Send.
- Open Google Calendar.
- Click the live stream event Edit .
- Next to Join with Google Meet, click the Down arrow Remove live stream.
- Click Save.
Tip: The meeting link changes when you add or remove live streaming. Be sure to share the updated link with your guests.
If allowed by an administrator, any participant in the same organization as the meeting organizer can start or stop the live stream. Live streams automatically stop after 8 hours since live streams have an 8 hour time limit.
|Can start or stop a live stream||View only, can’t control live stream|
|You’re in the same organization as live steam organizer||Guests who join view-only|
|You’re allowed in live stream by an administrator|
|You’ve joined as a full participant|
- Open Google Calendar and join the video meeting.
- Select More Start streaming.
- Confirm that you want to start streaming. When streaming is on, at the top left, “Live” is indicated. View-only guests can now watch the meeting using the stream URL.
- Select More Stop streaming.
- Confirm that you want to stop streaming.
Full participants from the same organization as the meeting organizer can record the live stream so people can watch the event after the meeting ends. Live-stream events are not automatically recorded, so you must manually start and stop recording. Learn how to Record a video meeting.
Guests who join view-only cannot control recording.
Tip: People using the live-stream link cannot interact with the meeting participants or others in the live stream.
To watch a live-stream event, guests can:
- Click the live-stream link in the Calendar event or an email.
- Watch from a meeting room that is added to the event and set up with Chromebox or Chromebase for meetings.
When you watch a live-stream event, you can:
- Stop and start the live playback.
- Set the playback speed and video quality.
- Play the video on a TV.
- Switch to full-screen mode.
Tip: To watch the event later, ask the meeting organizer if a recording is available. The live-stream can only be viewed while being broadcast live.
To use captions for your live stream event, meeting participants should first turn on live stream captions from the main meeting. Live stream captions will appear in the same language as is set in the meeting and are available in English, German, French, Spanish and Portuguese.
For meeting participants:
- Join a meeting with live streaming turned on.
- At the bottom right, click Activities Live Streaming.
- Select the language for captions from the menu click Start Streaming.
For live stream viewers:
- On your computer, on the livestream viewer, click Turn on captions or Turn off captions .
- On your mobile device, on the livestream viewer, at the top right, tap Menu Subtitles.
- Troubleshoot issues with live streaming
- Troubleshoot issues for live stream organizers
- Use hardware to live-stream video meetings
Google, Google Workspace, and related marks and logos are trademarks of Google LLC. All other company and product names are trademarks of the companies with which they are associated.