You can add people to a video meeting in Google Meet before or after the meeting starts. If you start a meeting on the fly from Gmail, you add people after the meeting starts. You can also remove people during a video meeting.
Some people need to request access before they can join the video meeting. For details, see Join a video meeting.
Add people to a video meeting in progress
Schedule video calls and invite guests using Calendar
You can invite people and remove people during a video meeting. You can invite people outside of your organization who haven’t already been added to a Calendar event. Someone from your organization must first allow them to attend the meeting. For meetings organized through your personal Google account, only the moderator can in-call invite or admit participants into the meeting.
Choose an option:
- On the right, click People Add people .
- Enter the name or email address Send invite.
- In the bottom left corner, click the meeting name.
- Click Copy joining info .
- Paste the meeting details into an email, or other app, and send it to the person.
Add a phone participant to a meeting
Important: This feature is currently available for Meetings organized by Google Workspace users.
From within a dial-out supported country, you can use Meet to call US or Canadian phone numbers. If your organization turns on Meet Global Dialing, you can use Meet to call more international numbers.
You can add someone by phone to a Google Meet video meeting in certain countries and regions.
- After you join the meeting, at the top right, click People to expand the side panel.
- Click Add people .
- Click Call.
- Select the country you’re calling to add the country code to the call.
- Enter the phone number for the person that you want to call and click Call .
- Optional: To enter additional numbers, such as an extension, click Dial to open the keypad.
The person joins the meeting when they answer the phone.
Tip: People who manually dial in using the phone number need to enter the meeting PIN.
Supported countries and regions
For a complete list of countries and regions, see Supported countries for adding guests by phone.
You can bulk admit participants and students into a video call. Only the meeting organizer can see or approve requests to join a meeting. The meeting organizer should stay in the meeting to approve requests.
- Click Admit or Deny entry, when a request to join the video call appears in the window.
- Click View all when you have multiple participants waiting to join the meeting. Choose an option:
- Next to the name, click Admit or Deny entry to admit or deny participants one at a time.
- Click Admit all or Deny all to admit or deny all participants at the same time.
Remove people during a video meeting
Important: You need to be in the same organization as the meeting organizer to remove someone from a video meeting.
- On the right, go to People .
- Point to the person, and then click Back arrow .
- Click Remove .
For meetings organized through your personal Google account, only the meeting moderator can remove people from a video meeting.
Google Workspace for Education users: Participants (both in-domain and out of domain) who are removed from the meeting can't request access to re-join the meeting. If a participant's requests to join a meeting are denied twice, they won't be able to request to join the meeting again. In these cases, the meeting organizer can manually invite them back into the meeting.
Remove a phone participant in a video meeting
- Click People to expand the side panel.
- Select the phone number, click the Down arrow End call .
Google Workspace for Education users
Control access to a video meeting
As the meeting organizer, you can use Quick access to decide if participants must ask to join the video meeting.
When Quick access is on:
When Quick access is off:
Quick access is turned on by default. After you start a video meeting, you can change the setting as often as you need using Meet on a computer.
Tip: If you turn Quick access on or off in recurring meetings that re-use the same meeting code, the setting will be saved for future meetings. If you turn Quick access on or off in a one-time, nicknamed, or instant meeting, the setting will return to on after the meeting ends.
To turn Quick access on or off:
In a meeting
- At the bottom, click Host controls .
- Next to Quick access, click the switch On or Off .
On Google Calendar
Go to calendar.google.com and chose one:
- Create a new event
- Create a new event click Add Google Meet video conferencing.
- On the right, click Change conference settings .
- Check the box next to "Quick access" click Save.
- Set up your event.
- Update an existing event
- Click a meeting click Edit event .
- Under event details, click Change conference settings .
- Check the box next to "Quick access" click Save.
Meeting organizers and moderators on a computer can end the meeting for everyone on a video call. End meeting for all ends the meeting and automatically removes all participants from the meeting, even mobile users, so you don’t have to remove participants manually.
- When the meeting ends for everyone, Quick access automatically switches off. When the same meeting link is used to restart the meeting, the organizer can turn on Quick access if they want.
- Participants can access the meeting link for a meeting that ended, but can’t join until the meeting organizer restarts the meeting. The meeting will automatically restart once the organizer re-joins.
- To make sure students can’t access the feature to start or end meetings, admins can switch off “Create a meeting” for students.
- Create a new meeting each time you want to meet with a different group of participants. When you restart a meeting, all previous participants can join.
To End a meeting for all:
- On the bottom, click Leave call .
- On the window that appears, click End meeting for all.
Optional: To leave the meeting but not end it for everyone, click Leave meeting.
Tip: End meeting for all will also end any open breakout rooms. If there are a lot of Breakout rooms open, the main room will end first and all other Breakout rooms may take up to a few minutes to end.