Learn the basics of creating and editing content for your site.
In this section, you learn how to:
On the right, select the page that you want to add content to and choose an option:
|Double-click the page where you want to add content.|
|Or, click Insert and choose the content you want to add.|
|Add titles and text.|
|Add content directly from the web, such as music and videos.|
|Add photos, designs, and other images.|
|Embed any file (From Drive) or the contents of a folder stored in Drive. If you make changes to your files in Drive, the same changes automatically show in Sites.|
|Add a table of contents.|
|Create and insert image carousels.|
|Add buttons which link to other content within your site, or to an external URL.|
|Add a (horizontal) divider line to your page.|
|Add YouTube videos (such as product trailers or company ads).|
|Add calendars (such as team or event calendars).|
|Add maps (such as office locations, event directions, or custom maps).|
|Add anything from Docs, Slides, Sheets, Forms, or charts from Sheets to your site. Any content you change in the source file automatically updates on your site.|
To edit text or page titles, just click the box and enter new text. Or, from the toolbar above the text box, select another option.
|Titles and headings|
|Title||Select a preset heading. Select Normal text for additional formatting options.|
|Change the text alignment.|
|Insert a link for selected text.|
|Delete a title or text box.|
|Select text and add bold or italics.|
|Add numbered or bulleted lists.|
|Go to more options.|
|Use the Code text style.|
|Select text and strikethrough it.|
|Select text and remove all formatting.|
Point to a section to change it.
- Change the background for each section—Click Style and select a style. You can also select Image to add a background image.
- Move a section—When you insert new content, it’s added to a new or existing section. To move that section up or down, click Move section and drag the section where you want it.
- Duplicate a section—Click Duplicate section . You can also copy and paste a section onto another page in your site.
- Add a footer—Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Add Footer . The footer appears on all of the pages in your site. Point to the footer and click Edit footer to edit it. To hide the footer on a page, point to it and click Hide footer on this page .
Resize an image:
Select the image and then drag the sides or corners of the image. Hold the Shift key while dragging to keep the image ratio.
Move an image:
Drag the image to a different part of the section or to a new section. You can place the image wherever you see a highlighted area.
Note: Currently, you can’t place an image in a text box.
Crop an image:
- Select the image and then select Crop .
- Slide the dot to zoom in or out.
- Drag the image to change the visible portion.
- Click Done .
- (Optional) To uncrop an image, select the image and click Uncrop .
Replace an image:
- Select the image.
- Click More Replace imageUpload or Select image and choose a new image file.
Add alt text to an image:
- Alt text appears when someone points over an image on your site.
- Select the image and click More Add alt text.
- Enter a description and click Apply.
- In the top right corner, click Settings .
- Click Announcement banner.
- (Optional) To customize the color of the banner, click Banner color and select a color. If Show banner isn't already toggled on, turn it on.
- In the Announcement section, in the text box, enter your banner message.
- (Optional) To create a button with a link on your banner, enter text in the Button label section and enter a URL in the Link section. If you want the link to open in a new tab on your browser, check the Open in new tab box.
- To choose how you'd like to display the banner on your site, in the Visibility section, select Home page only or All pages.
- At the top right, near your profile image, click Publish.
Logos appear in the top navigation bar, next to the site name.
Note: Logo files can be in .jpg, .png, or .gif format. For best results, the logo height should be at least 112 px.
- Point to the top of the page header and click Add logo .
- Click Upload or Select.
- Select the logo and click Open or Select.
- (Optional) To change the color of the page header, under Background, click the Down arrow and select a color.
- (Optional) To select a theme color based on your logo, in the Edit logo window, select a theme color.
You can embed:
- Web apps using Google Apps Script or App Maker
- Looker Studio reports
Depending on what website you add, you might be able to customize how the site appears on your site. Some allow a preview option or an option to see dynamically updated content. After you add content, you might need to sign in again to see the update.
Add content from another website:
- Open your site and on the right, click InsertEmbed.
- Choose an option:
- By URL—Paste the URL (link) you want to embed. Select Whole page or Preview and click Insert.
- Embed code—Paste or enter the site HTML code you want to embed and click NextInsert.
Note: If you can't add or preview content, contact the website's owner.
Anything you insert is added as a content “tile” on the canvas grid. Tiles snap to the grid so it’s easy to move, align, and edit them.
Move site content:
- Point to the content you want to move until you see Move .
- Drag the content to a highlighted area.
Resize site content:
- Select the content you want to resize.
- Drag the blue circles to resize.
You can connect text boxes and images together in a vertical group.
- Add a photo and a text box to your site page.
- Drag the text box to the top or bottom half of the object until a blue line appears.
- To change the order of grouped objects, click the group you want to change.
- Click the object you want to rearrange and on your keyboard, tap the Up or Down key.
- To ungroup text boxes and images, click the group you want to separate.
- Click the object you want to remove from the group, and drag the object away from the group