Start by creating your project plan and adding all the information you want to capture from your team.
In this section, you learn how to:
- In Google Drive, click New Google SheetsBlank spreadsheet.
- Click Untitled spreadsheet and enter a new title for your project plan.
- Add column headings. For example, you might track the tasks for a project and include columns for task owner, due date, status, and comments.
- Add content to the sheet to track the project plan. After you share the sheet, other people can add content as well.
If your column heading or task needs a bit more explanation, add a descriptive note.
- Select the column or cells where you want to add a note.
- Select InsertNote.
- Type your description.
- Click anywhere outside the note to close it.
Let people choose from options in a list. For example, to track progress in a project plan, create a Status column with options such as Not started, In progress, or Complete.
Create lists in a cell:
|Select the column where you want to add the choices.|
|Click DataData validation.|
|Next to Criteria, select List of items.|
|Enter the choices separated by commas.|
|(Optional) To see the choices, click the arrow in a cell under the column.|
See how your project tasks are progressing at a glance with conditional formatting rules. For example, add colors to make completed tasks stand out from tasks that haven’t been started or are in progress.
Set up progress trackers:
- Open Sheets and select the column that you want to apply the formatting rules to.
- Select FormatConditional formatting.
- Set up the rules. In this example, you assign a different color to tasks that are Complete, Not started, or In progress:
|On the Single color tab, under Format cells if, select Text contains.|
|In the box under Text contains, type Complete.|
|Under Formatting style, click the list to choose if you want the background or text to be colored.|
|To assign a custom text or background color, click Text color or Fill color . If needed, you can specify a color for the text and a color for the background.|
|If you want to add more rules, click Add another rule and follow the same steps. For example, assign a red background to Not started tasks and an orange background to In progress tasks.|
Stay on top of project updates and status changes with email notifications. You’ll know when someone’s made a change to your project plan, who made the change, when they made it, and what’s changed. You can also choose how often you want to be notified.
- In the spreadsheet, select ToolsNotification rules.
- Select when and how often you want to receive notifications.
- Click Save.
- Click Done.