See changes to your Drive files and folders
If you’re collaborating with several people on a single file, it can be difficult to pinpoint who made certain changes and when. Keep track of changes in shared files by identifying changes and who made them. You can also revert to a previous version.
See all changes to a file or revert to a previous version
See what's changed since you last opened a file
- In Google Drive, open your file.
- If there are new changes to a document, you can do one of the following options:
- Next to the menu bar, click See new changes.
- Click FileSee new changes.
- At the top, use the arrows to scroll through the list of changes. Added text is highlighted, and deleted text has a strikethrough.
- (Optional) To see your document’s entire revision history, in the top corner, click See revision history.
- (Optional) To go back to the original view, click the back arrow at the top.
See who's viewed your file or who you've shared it with
Note: This feature is available for G Suite Business and Enterprise users only (when G Suite administrator permissions allow).
- In Docs, Sheets, or Slides, open the file.
Note: You will need to have edit access for the file to see the Activity dashboard data.
- Click ToolsActivity dashboard.
- You can see information about the activity on your file, including:
- Shared with tab: Shows people you’ve shared the file with. You can also email collaborators.
- All viewers (organization) tab: Shows people in your organization who have viewed the file.
- Viewer trend tab: Shows a chart of viewers over time.
- (Optional) If you don’t want your view history to appear in Activity dashboard, click Privacy Settings and choose an option:
- Turn off view history for all files: Under Account setting, turn off Show my view history for all Docs, Sheets and Slides files.
- Turn off view history for one file: Under Document setting, turn off Show my view history for this document.
- Click Save.
See who commented, edited, moved, or shared a file
- In Drive, at the top right, click View details .
- The Activity tab is automatically selected and all the activity for My Drive is listed. For each activity, the details include:
- The file or folder affected
- The user that made the change
- The date and time of the activity
- Any other users affected by the activity
- In My Drive, select any item to see specific details.
See changes in a shared drive
- Open Google Drive and on the left, select a shared drive.
- At the top right, click View details .
- Click Activity.