In the past, you might have kept multiple drafts of your files in case you needed to refer or switch to earlier versions. Google Drive keeps all your drafts in one file. You can easily view or restore earlier versions.
View or revert to earlier versions of Docs, Sheets, and Slides files
Note: You need Owner or Can edit access to see the version history.
- In Drive, open your file.
- Click FileVersion historySee version history.
- Click a timestamp to see a previous version of the file. Below the timestamp, you’ll see:
- Names of people who edited the document.
- A color next to each person’s name. The edits they made appear in that color.
- (Optional) To revert to this version, click Restore this version.
Upload a new version of a non-Google file to Drive
On the web
- In Drive, right-click the file that isn’t in a Google format and select Manage versions.
- Click Upload New Version and select the file from your computer.
- When the new version is uploaded, click Close.
From your computer
- If you haven't already, install Drive File Stream.
- On your computer, find the non-Google file.
- Click Drive File Stream .
- Click Open Google Drive .
- Do one of the following actions:
- To move the file, drag it into a folder.
- To copy the file, copy and paste it into a folder.
The file synchronizes automatically to Drive on the web. If you update an existing file, the previous file is overwritten, but versions are maintained.
Download or revert to earlier versions of non-Google files in Drive
- In Drive, click the file and at the top right, click More Manage versions.
- Click More Download to download the file.
- (Optional) To revert to an earlier version (such as the one you downloaded above), click Upload New Version, find the version of the file, and click Open.
- Click Close.