Search your chat messages and find the exact content you’re looking for in Google Chat.
Search messages in Chat
- Sign in to Chat.
- At the top, click Search .
- On the left, select a room or click All rooms and direct messages.
- In the search box, enter search text.
- (Optional) To narrow your search, click people and content types (such as images or videos).
- Click Go to thread to open the result.
Search chat messages in Gmail
- Sign in to Gmail.
- In the search box at the top, enter search terms and press Enter.
- Under the search box, click Chat.
- (Optional) To refine your search, click the search filters below the search box. You can use as many filters and operators as you want.
- Click the result to open the chat in Gmail.
Note: If you have older messages in classic Hangouts that match the search, at the bottom, click View in the notification message.