Manage incoming email messages automatically with Gmail’s filters and labels. You can also flag important email, or archive messages so you can read them later.
Note: These instructions are for computer. For mobile device instructions, go to the Gmail help center.
Create a label
- Open Gmail.
- At the top right, click Settings See all settings.
- Click the Labels tab.
- Scroll to the Labels section and click Create new label.
- Enter the label name and click Create.
- Gmail label names can be up to 225 characters long.
- You can also create nested labels, which are like subfolders.
Create a filter and automatically label email
- In the search box at the top, click Show search options .
- Enter terms to match specific messages. For example, to filter and label emails from an account, in the From: field, enter the email address.
- At the bottom of the search window, click Create filter.
- Scroll to Apply the label: and choose a label.
- Click Create filter.
For more tips on applying labels and filters, see Organize your inbox.
Flag an important email
Click Star or Important to mark an important message.
You can find messages with stars and importance markers in the Starred and Important sections of your inbox.
Archived email messages move out of your inbox but stay under All mail, so that you can find them later. To archive email, select one or more email message. At the top, click Archive . Or, you can point to a single email and click Archive .