Adding citations and a bibliography to documents can be time-consuming. You can quickly add these right from Google Docs using your preferred citation format (MLA, APA, or Chicago).
Note: Some autogenerated text is not translated and remains in English, for example the Bibliography title.
Open the Citation tool
- In Docs, open a document.
- Click ToolsCitations.
- Select a formatting style.
Add a citation source
- In the Citations sidebar, click + Add citation source.
- Select the source type and how you accessed the source.
- Enter the citation details. To add multiple contributors, click + Contributor.
- If a contributor is an organization rather than an individual, click Corporation/organization.
- Click Add citation source.
Add an in-text citation
- In your document, place your cursor where you want the citation to appear.
- In the Citations sidebar, point to the source and click Cite.
- If # appears in your citation, replace it with the page number for your citation or delete it.
Edit a citation source
- In the Citations sidebar, point to the source that you want to edit and click More Edit.
- Edit any details and click Save source.
Delete a citation sourceIn the Citations sidebar, point to the source that you want to delete and click More Delete.
Add a bibliography
- In your document, place your cursor where you want the bibliography to appear.
- In the Citations sidebar, at the bottom, click Insert bibliography.