In G Suite, you can still work with Microsoft® Office® files, even if you don't have Office installed.
Add Office files to Drive
Save and access your Office files from Drive.
- Open Drive.
- Click New File upload.
- Choose the Office file you want to upload.
Open Office files in Drive
If you're sharing Office files with people who only have Office, you can work on them in Docs, Sheets, and Slides, but save them as Microsoft files in Drive.
Chrome Browser only
- Make sure the Office Editing for Docs, Sheets, & Slides extension is not installed:
- Open Chrome Browser and in the top-right corner, click More More ToolsExtensions.
- If you see the Office Editing for Docs, Sheets, & Slides extension, click Remove.
- In Drive, double-click an Office file.
You can now edit, share, view version history, collaborate in real time with others, and more. All changes you make are saved to the original Office file.
Convert Office files to Google files
If you and your colleagues are only working in Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides, you can convert your Office documents and PDF files to Docs, Sheets, or Slides.
To automatically convert all future uploads of Office files to Google Docs, Sheets, or Slides:
Work in Office and sync files to Drive (Office required)
After you move your Office files to Drive, you can still work on them in Office and save your changes to Drive.
- If you haven't already, install Drive File Stream on your computer.
This adds your Google Drive folder to your computer.
- On your computer, add your Office file to your Google Drive folder.
- In Office, click FileOpen and find your Google Drive folder.
- Click your Office file and click Open.
- Edit your file.
Any changes you make to your file in Office sync in Drive.
Comment on Office files
When you comment on an Office file in Docs, Sheets, or Slides, the comment appears in Office, too.
- Open Driveand double-click an Office file.
Select the text, cell, or section you want to comment on.
- Click Add comment .
- Enter your comment. To address it to a specific person, enter + and their email in the comment text. For example: +email@example.com.
- Click Comment.
Share a copy of a file in an Office format
If you're sharing a Google file with people who only have Office, you can attach a Microsoft copy to an email.