To reply to a message in Google Chat, you can enter text or select a suggestion if available. Use smart reply suggestions in Chat, and get responses based on the message you received.
Note: The Smart Reply feature is currently only available in English.
Important: Starting January 25, 2021, if you're based in Europe, you must indicate how we can use your Gmail, Google Chat, and Google Meet data. Through certain Gmail settings, you control, for example, whether we can share your data with other Google products. These settings are off at first and unless you turn them on, various Google product features, such as in Gmail, won’t work. For more information, see Smart features & personalization controls in Gmail, Chat, Meet, and other Google services.
Reply to a message
- Open the Chat app or Gmail app .
- On the bottom, tap Chat or Spaces .
- Open a chat message or a space.
- If you’re in a space, below the message, tap Reply .
- Enter your message or select a suggestion. You can customize a suggested message before you send it.
- Tap Send .
Turn off suggestions in Chat
You can turn off suggestions on a specific device, but it won't turn it off on other devices.
- At the top left, tap Menu Settings.
- Next to Smart Reply, turn off the setting.
You can add options to your message.
- To add a person to the conversation: Type enter a name.
- To add a photo to the message: Tap Photo .
- To view other options, tap Action menu . Then:
- To take a picture and add it to the message: Tap Camera .
- To start a video call: Tap Meet link .
- To schedule a meeting: Tap Calendar invite .
- To share files from Google Drive: Tap Drive .
- If people in a conversation or space don't have access to a Drive file, you may get a request to share the file.
- To add formatting to text: Tap Format .
- To send a GIF, tap GIF .