Share documents, spreadsheets, or presentations with individuals or large groups of people. You can share with people inside or outside your organization. People can make changes at the same time, and you can see changes as they happen.
You can share with people who aren't on Google Workspace, too.
In this section, you learn how to:
- Up to 100: You can let up to 100 people with view, edit, or comment permissions work on a Google Docs, Sheets, or Slides file at the same time.
- 100 or more: When 100 people or more are accessing a file, only the owner and some users with editing permissions can edit the file. To let more than 100 people view or edit your file at the same time, publish it as a web page instead.
Share a file or folder with specific people:
- Select the file you want to share.
- Click Share or Share .
- Under Share with people and groups, enter the email address you want to share with.
Note: If visitor sharing is on for your organization, you can invite someone who doesn't have a Google Account to collaborate on your Google Drive files and folders. See Share documents with visitors.
- To change what people can do to your file, on the right, click the Down arrow Viewer, Commenter, or Editor.
- Choose to notify people:
- If you want to notify people that you shared a file with them, check the Notify people box. If you notify people, each email address you enter will be included in the email.
- If you don't want to notify people, uncheck the Notify people box.
- Click Share or Send.
Share a link to a file or folder:
- In Drive, right-click the file or folder you want to share and select Share .
Note: You can only share files that you own or have edit access to.
- (Optional) To specify what people can do with your file when you share it, under your organization name, click Change:
- To change the permission, at right, click the Down arrow and select Viewer, Commenter, or Editor.
- To allow sharing the link outside of your organization, next to your organization name, click the Down arrow Public.
Note: If you don't see this option, contact your administrator.
- Click Copy link.
- Click Done.
- Paste the link in an email, on a website, or wherever you need to share it.
Stop sharing a file or folder you own:
- Open the homescreen for Google Drive, Google Docs, Google Sheets, or Google Slides.
- Select a file or folder.
- Click Share or Share .
- Find the person you want to stop sharing with.
- To the right of their name, click the Down arrow Remove.
- To save changes, click Save.
Remove a link to a file or folder you own:
- In Docs, Sheets, or Slides, select the text you'd like to comment on.
- Click Add comment .
- Enter your comment in the box.
- (Optional) To direct your task or comment to a specific person, enter a plus sign (+) followed by their email address. You can add as many people as you want. Each person will get an email with your comment and a link to the file.
- (Optional) To assign the comment to a specific person, check the Assign to box.
- Click Comment or Assign.
Note: If a file reaches the maximum number of comments, you can make a copy of the file without copying over any comments.
Note: This feature is only available in Google Docs.
|In the top corner, make sure you’re in Suggesting mode, which may also appear as .|
|To suggest an edit, simply begin typing where you think the edit should be made in the document. Your suggestions appear in a new color, and text you mark to delete or replace is crossed out (but not actually deleted until the document owner approves the suggestion).|
The document’s owner will receive an email with your suggestions. When they click any suggestion, they can Accept or Reject it.
You can collaborate within documents, spreadsheets, or presentations over chat, too. If more than one person has your file open, just click Show chat to open a group chat. You can get instant feedback without ever leaving your file.
Note: This feature is only available in Google Docs and Google Sheets.
You can collaborate on shared Docs and Sheets files with team members directly in a Gmail chat space. The document or spreadsheet opens in the chat window, next to the conversation, letting you chat while collaborating on the file together.
When you collaborate with your team members, you can edit, format, share, and rename files without leaving Gmail. To work with comments or use other features from Docs or Sheets, open the file in a new tab.
You can collaborate on shared Google Docs and Sheets with people directly in a space. The document or spreadsheet opens in the chat window, next to the conversation, where you can chat while you collaborate on the file together.
When you collaborate on a file with people in a space, you can edit, format, share, and rename it without leaving Gmail or Google Chat. To work with comments or use other features from Docs or Sheets, open the file in a new tab.
- Go to Google Chat or your Gmail account.
- Select a space. Expand the space to full screen.
- To open an already shared document, point to it in the chat then click Open in chat . The document opens to the right where you can make edits directly without changing tabs.
- To create a shared document within a space, in the reply area of the conversation tab, click Integration menu Google Docs .
- At the top right, click Close .
- Optional: To open the document in a new browser tab, at the top right of the conversation preview, click Open in a new tab .
Google, Google Workspace, and related marks and logos are trademarks of Google LLC. All other company and product names are trademarks of the companies with which they are associated.