2. Customize your search
Refine your search query using filters and operators to narrow your search.
In this section, you learn how to:
Refine your search queries by using filters. For example, you can filter your search to show content created in Docs or within a certain time period.
- In the search box, enter your search query.
- Above the search results, select a content source to filter by, such as Mail or Drive.
- Choose an option to open search tools:
- On the web, click Search tools.
- On a mobile browser, tap MoreSearch tools.
- On the Android or iOS app, tap Any time or Everything.
- From the search tools lists, choose one or more filters. You can filter by time, ownership, or file type.
- To remove filters, select Clear.
- To return to all results, select All.
To get more specific results, add search operators to your search terms.
- In the search box, enter your search terms and leave a space at the end.
- Add the operator and its value to the end of your search text and press or select Enter.
|""(quotes)||"market analysis"||Find content that includes the exact word, or set of words, in the same order as what's inside the quotes.|
sales contenttype:doc -owner:me
Find content that does not include the specific word or operator term.
Note: This operator doesn't work alone. You need to use it with a search term or another operator.
sales & reports
|By default, only pages that include all of your search terms are returned. You don’t need to include AND between the terms.|
|sales OR marketing
sales | marketing
sales from:(marysmith OR johndoe)
|Find content that includes at least one of the words or operator terms.|
|NOT||sales NOT marketing||Find content that does not include the specific word or operator term.|
|source:||training source:mail||Find content from a particular Google product, including Gmail, Drive, Sites, Groups, Calendar.|
|contenttype:||training contenttype:doc||Find particular types of content, such as documents, spreadsheets, presentations, images, folders, and attachments.|
|filetype:||training filetype:(doc OR pdf)||Find content with a particular file extension.|
|Find content you own or that’s been shared with you.|
reports from:(marysmith OR johndoe)
|Specify the person who sent or who created the content you’re looking for.|
|Specify the person who received the content you’re looking for.|
|before:||orders before:09/30/2015||Find content created or edited before a certain date (MM/DD/YYYY).|
|Find content created or edited after a certain date (MM/DD/YYYY).|