Get started with Hangouts Chat
3. Collaborate in Chat
With Chat, you can share useful ideas and brainstorm with co-workers in team and project rooms. Need to meet face-to-face? Just start a Hangouts Meet video meeting right in your chat conversation.
In this section:
When you’re collaborating with your team, sometimes it’s better to meet face-to-face. Start an impromptu video meeting with your team members.
- In a chat conversation, click Add video meeting Send .
- To join the video meeting, click Join video meetingJoin meeting.
Add documents, presentations, images, and more in your conversations. Files you attach in a conversation are automatically shared with all participants who have Comment access.
- Reply to an existing conversation or open a new conversation and choose an option:
- If you want to attach a file on your computer, click File upload .
- If you want to attach a file from Google Drive, click Add Google Drive file .
- Attach the file and click Send .
Need to search for a specific word or project? With Chat, you can search in direct messages or rooms for @mentions and look for content, such as videos, documents, presentations, and more.
- At the top, click Search and enter your search query.
- On the left, under Choose Where To Search, select a contact or room or click All rooms and direct messages.
- (Optional) To search for a specific contact, image or file, click the profile or service image. If your search query has results, a reference appears.
- Click Go to thread to see the original conversation.