Multiple inboxes are helpful for people who have multiple email accounts and want to consolidate them. They’re also good for people who want to prioritize certain daily tasks or individuals.
For example, you can:
In this section, you learn how to:
- At the top right, click Settings .
- Under Inbox Type, select Multiple Inboxes.
Create custom inboxes and specify where additional inboxes appear:
- At the top right, click Settings See all settings.
- At the top, click Inbox.
- Next to Inbox type, select Multiple Inboxes.
- Under Search query, define your inbox with a filter. For example:
- To create an inbox from an existing label, enter label:name of label.
- To create an inbox based on a sender, enter from:person’s email address. Add multiple senders by entering from:person’s address OR another address.
- To create an inbox for email sent to one of your other accounts, enter to:firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: Before you can create inboxes to show mail for different accounts, you need to set up Gmail to send mail from a different address or alias.
View Gmail search operators.
- (Optional) To enter a name for each inbox, under Section name, enter a name.
- Next to Multiple inbox position, select where you want the additional inboxes to appear (on the right side, above, or below the primary inbox).
- At the bottom, click Save Changes.
If you create inboxes based on labels, add the correct label when you compose an email. That way, your email and the reply automatically go to the correct inbox.
For example, if you need to reply to something today:
- Click Compose.
- At the bottom, click More Label.
- Under Label as, type Today.
- Check the box next to Today.
- Click Apply.
- Once you're ready to send your email, click Send.
Your mail and any replies automatically go in your Today inbox.