Multiple inboxes are helpful for people who have multiple email accounts and want to consolidate them. They’re also good for people who want to prioritize certain daily tasks or individuals.
For example, you can:
In this section, you learn how to:
- At the top right, click Settings .
- Under Inbox Type, select Multiple Inboxes.
- At the top right, click Settings See all settings.
- At the top, click Inbox.
- Next to Inbox type, select Multiple Inboxes.
- Under Search query, define your inbox with a filter. For example, to create an inbox:
- From an existing label, enter label:name of label.
- Based on a sender, enter from:person’s email address. Add multiple senders by entering from:person’s address OR another address.
- For email sent to one of your other accounts, enter to:firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: Before you can create inboxes to show mail for different accounts, you need to set up Gmail to send mail from a different address or alias. See View Gmail search operators.
- (Optional) To enter a name for each inbox, under Section name, enter a name.
- (Optional) To change where you want the additional inboxes to appear, next to Multiple inbox position, select a position.
- At the bottom, click Save Changes.
If you create inboxes based on labels, add the correct label when you compose an email. That way, your email and the reply automatically go to the correct inbox.
For example, you could use these labels:
- Action—Issues that need immediate attention
- Follow-up—Issues that need further collaboration
- Later—Issues that don't need immediate attention
Add a label to an email:
- Click Compose.
- At the bottom, click More Label and select an existing label, then click Apply.
- If the label you want doesn't exist, click Create new.
- In the New label window, enter a label name.
- (Optional) To nest a label under an existing label, check Nest label under and select a parent label.
- Click Create.
- (Optional) To remove a label from an email:
- Click More Label.
- Uncheck the box next to the labelclick Apply.
- When you're ready to send your email, click Send.
Your mail and any replies automatically go in your Action inbox.