Get started with Calendar
4. Customize your calendar
Now that you know how to use all the key features in Calendar, you can customize it further to match the way you work.
In this section:
You can decide how you want to manage your incoming event notifications.
Turn notifications on or off:
- Open Google Calendar and click Settings Settings.
- On the left under General, click Event settings.
- Click Notifications and select an option:
- Desktop notifications
- (Optional) To set up a sound for your incoming notifications, check the Play notification sounds box.
- On the left, select your calendar and then click General notifications to manage what type of event notifications you receive.
- Next to each option, click the Down arrow and select whether you want to receive email notifications or not.
Set event-specific notifications:
- Click your event and then click Edit .
- Next to Notifications, select Email or Notification.
- Select a time period for notifications.
- (Optional) If you want to add another notification, click Add notification and repeat steps 2–3.
You can choose how many days you see at a time in your calendar view. Select the option that’s best for you at the top of your calendar.
Choose your calendar view:
- At the top right in the view switcher box, click the Down arrow and choose an option:
- View a calendar by day, week, month, or year
- View your schedule
- Hide or show weekends
- Hide or show declined events
- To view multiple calendars side-by-side in day view—Select Day view and check the boxes next to the calendars you want to see.
- To view the next or previous day’s calendar—Next to Today, click Next or Previous .
Manage your calendar view settings:
- Click Settings Settings.
- On the left under General, click View options.
- Depending on the view you want, check or uncheck the following boxes:
- Show weekends
- Show declined events
- Show week numbers
- Reduce the brightness of past events
- View calendars side by side in Day View
- Click Start week on and choose when to start the week.
- Go to the Set custom view field and click the Down arrow to choose the number of days or weeks you want to appear in your calendar view.
- Go to the Alternate calendars field and click the Down arrow to choose an alternate calendar.
Changing the way your calendar appears can help you when you have several calendars layered on the same screen.
Change your calendar’s density and color set:
- Click Settings Density and color.
- Click Color setModern (with white text) or Classic (with black text).
- Click Information densityCompact or Responsive to your screen.
- Click Done.
Change your calendars’ color set:
- On the left, point to your calendar and click More .
- Select the color you want from the palette.
Change an event’s color:
- Right-click an event.
- Select a new color.
Note: If you change the color of an event, the original color is represented as a vertical line on the left side of the event.