When you run a migration with G Suite Migration for Microsoft® Outlook, a trace file is created that logs each step of the migration. If you encounter any errors during the import, the trace file can identify where in the process the error occurred. This information is typically most valuable to Google Support. For example, if a log message indicates an error with a particular migration module, then Google engineers can address the issue.
Log messages can also identify problems that need to be resolved in your own environment, such as timeouts or network errors. If you receive a migration error, first check the trace file for problems in your own environment.
Trace log files are located on your computer in the following location:
- Windows 7 and up—C:\Users\your-user-name\AppData\Local\Google\Google Apps Migration\Tracing\ClientMigration.
- Earlier versions of Windows—C:\Documents and Settings\your-user-name\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Google Apps Migration\Tracing\ClientMigration.
A trace file is created and named according to the date and time its corresponding migration completed, along with process ID. For example, a file with the name...
...was created on May 3, 2010, at 11:33:17 A.M., with a process ID of 732.
Trace file example
To see an example of a GSMMO trace log, go to this page.
Interpret a trace file
Each trace file is updated as the migration progresses. The file begins with entries that identify the location and version of the ClientMigration.exe file, the migration product version, your computer's operating system, and the process information for this particular migration:
Configuration: Exe name: C:\Program Files\Google\Google Apps Migration\ClientMigration.exe
Exe version: 18.104.22.168
Product version: 22.214.171.124
OS Version: 5.1.2600
OS Service Pack: 3.0
OS Suite/Product: 256/1
Process Id: 732
Process architecture: x64
Subsequent entries provides specific information about each step of the migration process. For example, this entry...
2010-05-03T11:45:22.668-07:00 de4 A:Migration ClientMigration!ConfigOptionsDialog::TraceMigrationConfig @ 269 ()> Creating a new migration GUID :
... reports the following information:
- 2010-05-03T11:45:22.668-07:00: The date and time the entry was written
- de4: The thread ID
- A: The logging level (A:All, I:Information, E:Error, F:Fatal, W:Warning, V:Verbose)
All, Error, Fatal, and Warning are hard coded.
- Migration: Module name (for example, Migration, Generic, Sync, Calendar)
- ConfigOptionsDialog: Class name
- TraceMigrationConfig: Method name
- @ 269: Line number
- > following text: Log message (for example, Creating a new migration GUID)