As a G Suite administrator, you can give people in your organization the new integrated Gmail experience. Access all your communication streams—email messages, chat, and video meetings—in one familiar place: Gmail.
New integrated Gmail quick start for G Suite administrators
To view available captions or change the caption language, click Subtitles at the bottom of the video window, then select a language.
- Collaborate on documents in the context of chat streams—Access docs from the Files tab in your chat for quick retrieval.
- Prioritize and stay on task—Control notifications, so you’re only interrupted by the most important people and messages.
- Create a shared task list—Work together in rooms.
- Multitask—Reference a Gmail message on the same screen while chatting with a colleague, or take notes and assign action items during a video meeting.
Security and data retention considerations
Before you roll out the new Gmail experience to your users, review these security and data retention considerations.
- Chat with external people—You can control how your users chat with people outside your organization. For details, go to Turn on external chat options.
- Create and join rooms that include external people—To let your users create and join rooms that include people outside your organization, follow the steps in External rooms.
- Data retention—If your organization has data storage requirements, keep chat history on for everyone in your organization. By default, chat history is on for rooms, one-on-one chats, and group chats outside rooms. For details, go to Turn Google chat history on or off.
- Vault—If your organization uses Google Vault, check with your legal team to understand your organization's data governance policies. When chat history is off, chat messages aren't sent to Vault for you to keep, search, or export.
Set up integrated Gmail
To give people in your organization the complete integrated Gmail experience, turn on these services in your Google Admin console.
Meet in Gmail
Chat in Gmail
To show the Tasks tab in rooms and to use room tasks, turn on Tasks. To use Tasks, you must turn it on for your entire G Suite organization, not just for a set of users.
To show upcoming meetings in My Meetings, turn on Calendar. If Calendar is off, upcoming meetings won't show in the Meet tab but users can still create and join meetings.
Drive and Docs
To let your users store and share files from their account, and upload files to chat rooms in Gmail, turn on Drive and Docs. Users who have Drive and Docs turned off can't view or edit files shared in chat rooms.
Train your users
To help people use integrated Gmail, share these training resources: