If your group membership settings include receiving group messages as email, you can view the number of unread messages for that group. See Manage your subscriptions.
To see the number of unread messages for an eligible group, set up a filter in your email client. Here are example instructions for Gmail.
- In Gmail, create a filter.
In the search field, on the To line, enter the group's email address.
- After clicking Create filter:
- Check the Apply the label box.
- Next to Choose label, click the Down arrow New label.
- In the first field, enter the group's name.
You can leave the other options blank.
- Click Create.
Your group now appears as a folder in the left panel. As messages arrive to the group, the number of unread messages appears next to the folder.