About the new Hangouts Chat standalone app
People in your organization can use the new Hangouts Chat standalone app for a faster and more secure experience.
Users can install the standalone app, or administrators can deploy the app to their organization. If you're part of the Accelerated Transition Program, users who previously had the classic Hangouts extension or app are redirected to the new Hangouts Chat standalone app.
The new Hangouts Chat standalone app is built using Progressive Web Application (PWA) technology. PWAs are web apps with native app functionality. Advantages of using the new app include:
- Not having to update the app. Because the app fetches updates through the web, users only need to keep up with Google Chrome updates.
- Better loading performance.
- Support for Windows, MacOS, Chrome OS, and Linux (with Google Chrome 73 or higher).
- Admins can deploy the app to their employees through Chrome Policy Management.
What users need to install the app
To use the new Hangouts Chat standalone app, make sure people in your organization:
- Use Google Chrome 73 or higher.
- Can install Chrome extensions and apps. Learn how to Allow or block apps and extensions.
To learn how to install the app, go to Install the Chat standalone app.
We’re working to address these limitations with the new Hangouts Chat standalone app:
- You need Chrome 73 installed on your computer. Chrome 73 doesn't have to be your default browser to use the new Hangouts Chat standalone app.
- The new standalone app is not yet packageable by enterprise re-packagers such as SCCM.
- To use the new standalone app, Chrome Browser needs to be open.