How Drive Enterprise billing works
When you sign up for Google Drive Enterprise, you won’t be charged right away. Instead, the first 14 days are free and you can cancel at any time.
When your trial ends, here’s how you’ll be charged.
Monthly payments start after the free trial period. You pay for your total number of active users for that month, plus the total amount of Drive storage used across your organization:
- USD 8 per active user—You pay the full USD 8 for any active user in a month, even if the user completes only one charged activity at any time during the month (for example, viewing one file on the 25th of the month). You also pay the full USD 8 for any active user if your subscription doesn’t cover an entire month—for example, if you cancel in the middle of the month.
- USD 0.04 per GB of storage used per month—To determine this, Google tracks the amount of storage in MB for each hour of the month. As more storage is used, for example, if a file is uploaded in the middle of the month, the number of MBs increases. At the end of the month, we add up the storage for each hour and divide it by the total number of hours in the month. We then convert this number to GB (called a GB-month) and bill you at USD 0.04 per GB-month.
Note: Storage usage is calculated in binary gigabytes (GB), where 1 GB is 230 bytes. This unit of measurement is also known as a gibibyte (GiB).
See the sections below for detailed descriptions and sample calculations of active users and monthly storage.
You can pay in your local currency. However, your payments are calculated in U.S. dollars. So depending on the exchange rate, your payment might vary from month to month, even if your active users and storage remain the same.
Active users and monthly storageWhat defines an active user?
An active user is any user who engages in at least one charged activity in Drive at least one time during the month.
Charged activities include, but aren’t strictly limited to:
- Viewing, opening, printing, or previewing a Drive file
- Downloading a Drive file
- Changing the contents of Drive, including:
- Uploading files
- Creating, copying, renaming, removing, or moving files
- Adding files to My Drive
- Sharing Drive files or changing sharing permissions
- Managing membership for a shared drive
- Syncing files that have changed
The active user charge applies to the person doing something with a Drive file, not the file’s owner. However, if a non-owner updates a file, the owner is also charged as an active user when the file syncs.
Some user actions don’t trigger an active user charge. These uncharged activities include, but aren’t strictly limited to:
- Browsing activity:
- Users can browse, search, sort, or filter files without charges.
- They can also look at the View details panel or see who a file is shared with.
- Syncing files that haven’t changed
- Changing Drive settings
- Accessing of files by users outside of your domain
Your storage usage charge is the total GB of Drive content for all users in your organization.
Files included in the storage count:
- All non-Google Docs editor files, such as photos, videos, audio files, PDFs, and Microsoft Office files, including non-Google Docs editor files in shared drives
- Files in users’ Trash
- Files owned by suspended users
- Files on hold in Google Vault (domain-verified customers only)
Files excluded from the storage count:
- Drive folders
- Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms, Drawings, Sites, and My Maps
Say your organization has 3 users: A, B, and C. Here’s a sample of how your monthly charge activity for Drive Enterprise might look for a 30-day month.Active users
|A||Edited a Google Doc daily||Yes||USD 8|
|B||Renamed one file one time, on the 25th day of the month||Yes||USD 8||For an active user, the charge is always the full USD 8 per month, even if the user activity took place after the 1st of the month.|
|C||Changed several Drive settings||No||NA||Changing Drive settings doesn’t make a user an active user.|
|A||Uploaded 1.5 GB of photos, videos, and audio files on the 1st of the month||1,500 MB x 30 days x 24 hours/30 days x 24 hours = 1,500 MB = 1.5 GB-month||1.5 GB-month x 0.04 = USD 0.06|
|B||Uploaded 1 GB to shared drives on the 1st of the month
Uploaded 0.5 GB to shared drives on the 15th of the month
|1,000 MB x 30 days x 24 hours/30 days x 24 hours = 1,000 MB = 1 GB-month
500 MB x 15 days x 24 hours/30 days x 24 hours = 250 MB = 0.25 GB-month
|1.25 GB-month x 0.04 = USD 0.05|
|C||Created a 200 MB Google Doc on the 1st of the month||NA||NA||Google Docs aren’t included in monthly storage costs.|
The total charge for your organization for this month is USD 16.11. This includes USD 16 for active users (2 x 8) and USD 0.11 for monthly storage (0.06 + 0.05).
Even if you pay in a currency other than USD, your charge is calculated in USD. Your actual payment depends on the current exchange rate.
For example, suppose you pay in Euros and the exchange rate is USD 1 = EUR 0.85. Your charge is calculated as USD 16.11. You’re billed EUR 13.69.
Reducing users and cancellation
If you modify your Drive Enterprise users or subscription, the billing rules depend on your customer type and the action you take.Removing a user’s license (domain-verified customers)
If you remove a user’s Drive Enterprise license in a given month and the user had any activity that qualified them as an active user for the month, you’re billed USD 8 for that user for the month. After that, you’re not charged any user charge for that user. However, if the user has any storage that qualifies for the monthly storage charge, unless you delete the storage, you continue to be charged for it even after you remove the user’s Drive Enterprise license.
If you delete a Drive Enterprise user in a given month and the user had any activity that qualified them as an active user for the month, you’re billed USD 8 for that user for the month. After that, you’re not charged any user charge for that user. You’re also charged a prorated amount for any qualifying storage for that user in the month of deletion. After that, the storage is deleted and there’s no further storage charge.
If you remove a user from a team in a given month and the user had any activity that qualified them as an active user for the month, you’re billed USD 8 for that user for the month. After that, you’re not charged any user charge for that user. However, if the user has any data stored in shared drives (which qualifies for the monthly storage charge), unless you delete the data or the user moves it to their personal account, you continue to be charged for it even after you remove the user.
If you cancel your Drive Enterprise subscription in a given month, you’re charged USD 8 per any active user in that month. You’re also charged a prorated storage charge for all accumulated storage up to the date of cancellation. After that, you have no additional user or storage charge.