Sync G Suite Gmail with an IMAP client
If your G Suite users want to send and receive mail from another email client, such as Microsoft® Outlook® or Apple® Mail, a G Suite administrator must first enable Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) access in the admin console. You can enable access for everyone or only those in specific organizational units.
Learn how to access G Suite on mobile devices.
Step 1: Enable IMAP for your account
- On your computer, sign in to Gmail with your G Suite account.
- In the top right, click Settings Settings.
- At the top, click Forwarding and POP/IMAP.
Don't see this tab? Make sure IMAP is enabled for your domain.
- In the IMAP Access section, select Enable IMAP.
- At the bottom, click Save Changes.
Step 2: Set up your mail client to access Gmail
Use these steps for Outlook 2019/2016. If you’re using a different version of Outlook, see Other mail clients.
- In Outlook, click File Add Account.
- Enter your email address and click Connect.
- When Outlook launches a Gmail window, type your password and click Sign in.
Note: When you connect your Gmail account to Outlook, you might receive a warning message in your Inbox telling you that a new log-on from Internet Explorer was detected. This is expected behavior.
- If you have previously enabled 2-Step verification, Gmail prompts you to enter the code sent to your mobile device. If you haven't enabled 2-Step verification, skip to step 6.
- When the Google account permissions window appears, click Allow.
- When Outlook finishes adding your Gmail account, you can add another email account or click Done.
- Checking Setup Outlook Mobile on my phone, too takes you to a website where you can enter your mobile phone number. You’ll receive a link to download Outlook for iOS or Outlook for Android.
- If you need instructions for adding an email account using advanced settings, see Use advanced setup to add a POP or IMAP email account in Outlook for PC.
Use these steps for Apple Mail 9.3. If you’re using a different version of Apple Mail, see Other mail clients.
- Open Apple Mail 9.3.
- Click Mail Add Account.
- Select Google and click Continue.
- Sign in to your G Suite account.
- Check the Mail box and click Done.
For other mail clients, including different versions of Outlook and Mail, go to the application’s support page for help with setting up IMAP. You might need to provide the following details:
Full name or display name: This is how your name appears when you send email
Your G Suite account details: Your username and password
Incoming mail settings
Require SSL: Yes
Require SSL: Yes
Require TLS: Yes
Require authentication: Yes
Port for SSL: 465
Port for TLS/STARTTLS: 587
Note: Some IMAP clients might implement the IMAP4rev1 protocol only partially or incorrectly, and therefore some features might not work as expected. Third-party IMAP clients are not supported by Google. Problems with a third-party IMAP client must be handled by the third-party vendor.