Classic Hangouts to Meet FAQ
Below are common questions about migrating from classic Hangouts to Hangouts Meet.
Browser and device supportWhich browsers work with Meet?
- Chrome Browser
- Mozilla® Firefox®
- Apple® Safari® 13
Meet also has limited support in Microsoft® Internet Explorer® 11.
In 2019, Meet will have parity with the existing classic Hangouts experience, including support for Microsoft® Windows® and Apple® Mac® users who do not use Chrome Browser or Firefox. After this, Meet will automatically be turned on for all organizational units and domains and you can no longer opt out. We will provide at least 4 weeks notice before Meet is turned on for all users.
In this phase, all new Google Calendar events will include a Meet video meeting link. All Google meeting room hardware (Hangouts Meet hardware, Chromebox and Chromebase for meetings) will also use Meet.
Updating events to MeetWhy am I seeing a notification to update my Calendar event to Meet?
- Open the event.
- On the Event Details tab, next to Video call , click the Down arrow Hangouts Meet.
- Click Save.
Switching servicesHow do I know if my organization has Calendar events with classic Hangouts?
- Create a name for the meeting.
- Share it with the people you want to meet with.
To join the meeting:
- Go to the Meet home page.
- Click Use a meeting code or Join or start a meeting.
- Enter the name for the meeting and click Continue.
- Click Join.