This feature is available with G Suite Business and Enterprise editions, or Drive Enterprise edition. Compare editions
By default, your users get both Drive and Google Docs editors, such as Docs, Sheets, and Slides. If you only want Drive, you can turn off Docs creation.
If you turn off Docs creation, users can’t create or copy Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms, or Drawings. They'll no longer see menu items, icons, or other options to create or copy documents in G Suite applications. Users can still:
- Use Docs editors to work on Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms, or Drawings they already own.
- Edit or view Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms, or Drawings that other people share with them.
- Use Docs editors to work on Microsoft® Office files. When opening Office files in Drive users can open the file using the native application or Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides.
Turn off the option to create new Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms, or Drawings
- From the Admin console dashboard, click Apps G Suite Drive and Docs Features and Applications.
- In the Docs Creation section, select Do not allow users to create new files.
The next time users reload each G Suite application, the options to create or copy new Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms, or Drawings will disappear.
Turn New Google Sites on or off
You can turn New Sites on or off using a separate control. This option determines whether users can create or edit sites in the new version of Google Sites. Classic Sites are not available with Drive Enterprise.