Chat and classic Hangouts interoperability
Hangouts Chat and Meet together are the next version of Hangouts. They will replace the original version (classic Hangouts) in G Suite.
How interoperability works
Like classic Hangouts, Hangouts Chat has both direct messages and group messages.
- Direct messages—Direct messages sent from classic Hangouts or Hangouts Chat can be viewed and replied to in the other product. Starting on April 16, 2019, users of classic Hangouts can direct message any Hangouts Chat user, including external users.
- Group conversations—Group conversations in classic Hangouts or Hangouts Chat can't be viewed or replied to in the other product. Group messages are separate between the two products. Users should recreate any group conversations they want to continue in Hangouts Chat.
New features in Chat
- Rooms where users can join and leave, and can hold multiple threaded conversations
- Share documents and files from Drive or computer / mobile device
- Search for text, people, and rooms, with filtering
- Rich previews for web links
- Support for bots, including the ability for third parties to develop bots
- Apps for Windows and macOS
- Improved accessibility and compliance
Features coming to Chat
- Chatting with users from outside the domain
- Deep integration with Gmail
- Enhanced video calling experience
- Google Voice integration