Chat and classic Hangouts interoperability
Hangouts Chat and Meet together are the next version of Hangouts. They will replace the original version (classic Hangouts) in G Suite.
Like classic Hangouts, Hangouts Chat has both direct messages and group messages.
- Direct messages—Direct messages sent from classic Hangouts or Hangouts Chat can be viewed and replied to in the other product.
- Group conversations—Group conversations in classic Hangouts or Hangouts Chat can't be viewed or replied to in the other product. Group messages are not compatible between the two products.
We recommend recreating any group conversations users want to continue in Hangouts Chat.
|Type||Chat > Classic||Classic > Chat|
|Emojis||Forwards to Classic||Forwards to Chat|
|Images||Sends a link to message||Forwards to Classic|
|Videos||Sends a link to message||Sends a link to message|
|Files||Sends a link to message||N/A - can’t send files|
|Stickers||N/A - doesn’t have stickers||Forwards to Chat|
|Locations||N/A - can’t share location||Forwards to Classic|
|Reactions||Won’t show up in Classic||N/A - can’t add reactions|
Voice calls and text messages
- Hangouts Chat doesn’t currently send text messages in Chat. You will be able to place calls from Hangouts Chat if your domain is set up to use Google Voice for G Suite. Calls made in Hangouts Chat will open Voice for G Suite to place calls. We’re working on more integrations with Google Voice in the future.
- If you use classic Hangouts to call or text message a Hangouts Chat user, this isn't compatible but will ring the user’s device or go to the user’s text messaging client.
- If you’re using Hangouts Chat and trying to video call a classic Hangouts user: Hangouts Chat uses Meet for video meetings. Classic users will receive a link to the meeting.
- If you’re using classic Hangouts and video calling a Hangouts Chat user: Classic Hangouts has built in video calling and Chat users will receive a link to the meeting.
- If participants use a mix of classic Hangouts and new Chat, the classic Hangouts history on/off settings are used in chats. Learn more
- 1:1 direct messages: All 1:1 direct messages from both classic Hangouts and Hangouts Chat are searchable in Gmail.
- Group messages & rooms: All classic Hangouts group messages are searchable in Gmail. Hangouts Chat group messages and rooms are searchable in Hangouts Chat.
Note: If you have Hangouts Chat retention rules or holds in Google Vault, messages in Gmail, classic Hangouts, and Hangouts Chat will be retained according to those settings.