Let users see file activity (Activity dashboard)
The Activity Dashboard is not meant for auditing or legal purposes. To audit user activity, use the Drive audit log.
As a G Suite administrator, you can control whether users see each other's file activity on an Activity dashboard. File activity includes the names of users who have viewed Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides files and the time they viewed them.
Using this data, file editors can make informed decisions about following up with collaborators. To view the Activity dashboard for a file, users must have Edit access to the file and they must be in the same domain as the file owner. Users can't view the Activity dashboard for files outside their domain.
All users can manage their own privacy settings. But to see file activity, you must be using G Suite for Business, Education, or Enterprise. Compare editions
What users can control
Users can control whether their file-viewing information is displayed in the Activity dashboard.
For example, if an admin turns a user’s view history on, that user can still choose privacy settings to hide their file views from the dashboard. If you turn off users’ view history in the Activity dashboard, users can't turn it on for themselves.
Refer users to See who has viewed Google Docs, Sheets & Slides.
Check your organization’s file-viewing settings
- From the Admin console Home page, go to AppsG SuiteDrive and Docs.
- Click Activity dashboard settings.
- Next to Users’ view history, select an option that determines who can see a user’s file views.
- On (recommended): File-viewing information will appear in the Activity dashboard unless users choose to hide their views. Users with edit access to files can view this information. Your users’ viewing information might be visible in the Activity dashboards of files owned by other organizations.
- On - Only within <your domain>: Individual user views will only show up in the Activity dashboard to users within your domain on files owned by your domain. People in other domains will not see your organization’s user activity on files owned by that domain.
- Off: Your organization’s file views will not be visible in Activity dashboards of any files. Your users may be able to see whether external users have viewed their files, depending on the Activity dashboard settings of those external users.
- If you have the G Suite Enterprise, Business, Education, or Nonprofits edition, next to Access to Activity dashboard, select an option to determine if your users can see Activity dashboard data for files they are editors on.
- On: Let users at your domain see file views on the Activity dashboard. Recommended if Users’ view history is also on.
- Off: Prevent users at your domain from seeing file views on the Activity dashboard. Recommended if Users’ view history is also off.
For more information about Activity dashboard and FAQs, see the G Suite Updates Blog.